Select to view content in your preferred language

CAD "aligned dimension" annotation not visible in ArcMap

08-12-2014 01:48 PM
SebastianRoberts
Occasional Contributor III

Hello,

We are processing Assessor CAD files in our GIS.  When I load an AutoCAD dwg file into ArcMap, I can see all the expected annotation except the bearing and distances on parcel boundaries.  The AutoCAD technician reports that this annotation is an "aligned dimension" in AutoCAD.  If he manually explodes one of these dimension items, then he reports that it is converted to "M text".  Now if I load the CAD file into ArcMap I am able to see it in the Annotation layer of the dwg file.  Does anyone know how I can get this type of annotation to appear in ArcMap without having to convert it to "M Text" in AutoCad first?

Thanks,

Sebastian Roberts

Message was edited by: Sebastian Roberts - Attached the zipped DWG file as well as a png file that shows the additional annotation on parcel lines that doesn't appear when the dwg is loaded into ArcMap

0 Kudos
1 Reply
SebastianRoberts
Occasional Contributor III

Well I found a solution, posted here in case anyone else has the same problem.  I downloaded a trial version of AutoCad, and wrote a script that selects all objects, explodes them, and saves the dwg to a new file.  When this file is loaded into ArcMap the Dimension text now shows in the annotation layer.  Using a free tool called AutoScript from CADIG, I can run this script on all the dwgs in a folder.  Attached are the scripst if anyone else runs into the same issue.