Select to view content in your preferred language

Scale Map to Match Drawing Units

04-25-2023 07:45 AM
ajm-rsc
New Contributor II

I'm submitting this enhancement/feature request to both Autodesk and Esri because I'm not sure whether it's something Esri would control in their plugin or Autodesk would need to provide some additional functionality to allow the plugin to work this way.

Using the ArcGIS for AutoCAD plugin, when adding a map, 1 map unit is always set to 1 drawing unit even when the units are not the same. For example, a map in feet inserted into a drawing in inches would show measurements 1/12 what would be expected.

While it is possible to change the drawing units to match the map units, and there are several workarounds, it should also be possible to scale the map to match the drawing units. I have a few workflows that would benefit from this functionality.

1 Comment
Randy_Garcia
Status changed to: Closed

Hi, 

Unfortunately in order to get this to work you would need a coordinate system in inches. Currently ArcGIS does not have a coordinate system that works in inches the majority are meters or feet. The scale of the map is controlled by the units of the currently set coordinate system. You could create your own custom coordinate system in Inches and import that into ArcGIS for AutoCAD. I would not  recommended this as the map image will likely be too pixelated scaled up 12x from an image you would see at the foot level.