When is Field Mapping going to be made available for Windows 10?

11-03-2020 04:14 AM
ClarkLangridge
Occasional Contributor II

When is Field Mapping going to be made available for Windows 10?  The last version of Collector was never released for Windows 10, is a similar plan in place for Field Maps?

16 Replies
DanMaple
New Contributor

Windows 10 version of Field Maps would be helpful when I am required to do screen sharing demos to my leadership team for project proposals. At this time I have to use a mirroring app if proposing Field Maps. Field Maps is way better than Collector but with Field Maps new functionality using Collector on Windows 10 is not an option now. At the same time QGIS's Qfield has a fully functional Windows 10 app that works flawlessly and allows connections to postgres locally and remotely. If ESRI wants us to use their products I recommend keeping up with the open source competition. 

RyanBohan
Occasional Contributor III

There are some very cool features in fieldmaps, like the new geofencing.  However the lack of a browser / desktop options leads me to usually recommend using survey123, unless something unique with fieldmaps is by the field crew.

DavidCarpenter
Occasional Contributor

I would also argue that a Windows version of Field Maps is required for Enterprise customers.  All our field staff use rugged Panasonic Toughbooks and ToughPads.  There is absolutely no plan to introduce Android or iPad tablets on a large scale.....ever.  We currently run a few Survey 123 apps, and have a few Collector apps lingering because of the Windows Support issue.  In order for us to really see the true value (ROI) in the named user mobile worker licenses we have already have deployed, those users also need to leverage Field Maps on their devices.  In addition, when a Windows version becomes available it should absolutely not install under the individual users profile, it needs to set up under Program Files so it can be shared and more easily administered / updated by IT.  Without a doubt, this is 100% hindering broader adoption at my organization.

MelissaNorthey
Occasional Contributor

I prefer Field Maps now over Collector but am stuck at implementing it because our organization has about  60% Windows Surface Pros to 20% Android Tablets and 20% Apple iPads.  Those that have phones may be able to use their phone, but who wants to do field mapping on a phone when a larger screen is available?  Please make and installer available for Windows.

MUBUtility
New Contributor

Yes, all of the rugged Dell Latitude 7220 is  Windows OS, and would think that this would be/is a much-needed platform for Field Maps.  That we are a small municipal utility and have more ArcPro/Editor roles is not a feasible answer. Looking forward to seeing if ESRI can come up with a solution.  

ByronClayton
New Contributor

Yes, Field Maps is needed on Windows platform.  Our Org has HP Tablets running Windows 10 to take place of a desktop and tablet for the field.  Android and iOS OS platforms are not supported to connect to our network, when they are in office.  Seems counter productive to not support a majority of field users using Windows.  I've attempted several work arounds with no viable solutions.  Play.Google.com (Play Store) does not support Android to PC.  Also, APK doesn't work as a 3rd party emulator is required, which none is properly supported for our Org.  Please develop Field Maps for Microsoft store to support Windows 10 and above users.

MelissaNorthey
Occasional Contributor

Finding out that Collector is no longer supported made me search this up again.  Seems like this post is a 'Question' rather than an 'Idea', so I'm not sure if it counts as the Ideas do.  I found this Idea (https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-field-maps-ideas/field-maps-for-windows/idi-p/1035597/page/3#co...), which an Esri Field Maps team member has replied to (sounds like they've been testing it).  I figured all on this post may be interested if you haven't already run across it.