What causes a Form and the '+" button to disappear?

Jump to solution
01-25-2021 07:41 PM
MikeSlattery
Occasional Contributor

I am not sure exactly why, but the Form I built is gone in the Field Maps configure pane for the layer, and so is the "plus" button in the Field Maps app.   This has happened before, but I am at a loss to pinpoint the before/after scenario.

I did update the popup in the beta map viewer, and I did add a field to the layer - but there is no indication of why the whole Form is gone as if I hadn't built one.

Once I added the new field to the feature item definitions for the layer, I could add/edit features in the web beta, but there is stlll no Plus button on the app.

To my knowledge no one used the layer in the non-beta map viewer.

31 Replies
KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

@kmsmikrud are you working with related tables in the map?

0 Kudos
kmsmikrud
Occasional Contributor III

Hi @KevinBurke ,

Thanks for the replies! I'm trying  to reproduce the issue with the form being dropped, but of course its not happening at the moment. I do have 1 related table in the map.  Thanks for your willingness to look into this. Are there any known workflows for Map Viewer Beta (MVB) removing the form? I'm setting up a number of maps for field work and forms dropping were/are troubling in trying to keep up with it all.

Thank-you,

Kathy

0 Kudos
KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

That's what I am currently trying to figure out, is what workflows are clearing the form information when saving through the Map Viewer Beta.

Obviously if you save the map using the current Map Viewer it will clear the form information, but you should be notified when opening a map that has a form already configured in that case. 

Internally we've had folks report an issue where the form is removed after having saved through the Map Viewer Beta after they opened a previously created map with a custom popup from the current map viewer and made changes to the popup configuration. 

I did reproduce this once, but not repetitively, so I am still trying to narrow it down. 

But perhaps this happens when making changes for existing maps using the Map Viewer Beta version. 

Thanks for helping to try and narrow this down.

-Kevin

0 Kudos
kmsmikrud

Hi @KevinBurke ,

In creating another web map today in Map Viewer Beta and then configuring the form in Field Maps all was well until I realized I needed to add filters to the layers in MVB. After I did this, the forms were gone in Field Maps. I also wanted to add a label for one of the layers, this also removed the forms in Field Maps. I will let you know what else I find.

Thanks,

Kathy

0 Kudos
KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

Thank you @kmsmikrud!

I will check this out on my end as well.

0 Kudos
kmsmikrud

Much appreciated! I also just renamed the pop-up title for a layer in MVB and this also removed the form on all layers. It doesn't seem like it takes much of a change in MVB at all for the form to disappear. Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

Hi @kmsmikrud 

Would it be possible for you to share a copy of a map, that has a form already created, that I can test with to try and reproduce this behavior? So far I've tried editing maps in the MVB that have smart forms built but I cannot seem to reproduce the clearing of the form as easily as you can. Therefore perhaps it has to do with the map itself as oppose to a general problem.

If so, please share with the ArcGISFieldMaps user in a group. 

Also, if you can share a quick video of the editing done in the MVB and then how the form is removed through Field Maps (web application) that would be very helpful as well in trying to narrow this behavior down. 

Thank you for your help on this.

-Kevin

0 Kudos
kmsmikrud

Hi @KevinBurke ,

Apologies on the delay. I will follow up more on this next week as I need to create other projects with similar forms for different areas. I will take a video of editing and also share a map with the ArcGISFieldMaps user in the group. Thanks for the outreach!

Kathy

0 Kudos
Peters_Amy
Occasional Contributor

Kevin, I have experienced the same behavior but in the regular AGOL web map, not even the Beta Viewer.  Any change to anything in the web map with a resave will cause the Field Maps form to disappear.  If you change a popup, layer name, filter, symbology, etc and resave, the Field Maps form will be gone and you have to start over. I could share my project with you but I can't afford to risk it getting deleted again.  I don't understand how to make copies of the items for you.  Would you like me to share the originals and you can make copies for your testing? 

Amy Peters

0 Kudos
KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

Hi @Peters_Amy 

Thank you for the feedback. When it comes to working with smart forms and using the current Map Viewer, upon opening the map you should receive a notification indicating that the map contains certain functionality that's not supported by that version of the map viewer. In this case the smart form configuration is not supported by the current Map Viewer and, as a result, will be removed upon saving.

Therefore this is expected behavior for the current Map Viewer, and what I am trying to determine based off previous reports is why/how for certain situations the form is also getting removed after re-saving through the Map Viewer Beta (MVB). The form information should remain upon saving in the MVB, and indeed it does in general, however I am trying to understand the situations when it doesn't. 

If you've seen this happen using the MVB, then I would like to understand the workflow you did there and try to replicate on my end. 

On a side note, if you have already configured a smart form for a web map and would like to make a copy of that map, you should be able to perform a Save As using the MVB and not the current map viewer and the form should be retained. 

Thank you

-Kevin

0 Kudos