Select to view content in your preferred language

Unable to create new feature in field maps app

04-01-2024 11:33 AM
KaylieDarby
New Contributor

Hi,

I am struggling with the ability to create a new feature in the field maps app. No matter the amount of internet I have I still cannot get enough GPS accuracy to create the new feature. For example, 15 feet of GPS accuracy is required for creating a new feature, but my phone will only get to 15.5 feet of accuracy at the very lowest. All of my settings are the same as my coworker's using an Android phone and I am using an  iphone. Any suggestions? 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MErikReedAugusta
Frequent Contributor

The default if memory serves is actually 30ft, which is a reasonably standard floor for most cell phone testing that we've done.  It's possible to set both a user/app-level requirement and a map-level requirement.

My first guess would be that whoever created the map set 15ft, but it's been so long since we last set that stuff up in my organization that I confess I don't remember where the settings are.

The app-side is stored in your profile information, though, I believe.

0 Kudos
KerriRasmussen
Esri Contributor

Hi Kaylie,

Good afternoon. I'm sorry to hear you are having issues with ArcGIS Field Maps. Does your organization require a certain accuracy when you are collecting data or did you select 15 ft because that's what your coworker had in their settings? If you don't need the 15 ft accuracy, you can change that in your settings to give yourself a bit more wiggle room. If you do need the 15 ft accuracy, I would recommend looking for an external receiver which can give you better accuracy than your phone alone. There are some available that are fairly low cost and will give you better accuracy, not survey grade, but better that just the phone.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thank you,

Kerri 

0 Kudos
MichaelLohr
Frequent Contributor
Kaylie, by default, Androids and iPhones, without any external GPS correction devices being used, will only achieve consumer level GPS accuracies. The best you can expect is about 16 feet.
If this accuracy is OK for your needs, then I would suggest setting your minimum accuracy in Field Maps to a value higher than that default value, maybe at 20-25 feet. If that doesn't help, set it to 500 feet. If that doesn't fix it, there is likely some other issue. To find this setting, go into your Field Maps profile and open the Collection Settings area. This, if set incorrectly can prevent you from collecting data points, but you will not receive any message saying why.
There are other reasons your integrated phone GPS is not seeing all available satellites like close to buildings or dense canopy coverage.
If you really need better accuracy, look at some of the GPS receivers designed to work with iPhones/Androids and Field maps. There are multiple manufacturers of these devices and they work by Bluetooth connection to your mobile device and transmitting GPS corrections to Field Maps.
Good Luck. Hope that helps.
0 Kudos