Tracks not showing after update

04-15-2021 05:57 PM
kmsmikrud
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

Today a coworker that has been using tracker within Field Maps for the last 2 months was not able to collect any tracks despite having tracks enabled. I think this could in part be due to the update and they have not installed the latest release. However even if they don't have the latest functionality it seems not right to lose the ability altogether? Another coworker who is planning to survey tomorrow updated their Field Maps app, said that when connected to their external GPS device they kept getting a message that the GPS was not providing accuracy information, so it was using an estimate instead. They said in their testing of the app before today they never received this message and the tracks just showed up on the map.

If folks haven't updated their Field Maps app because they are offline, will they now not be able to use the tracks? I do not have a tracker extension but set up projects for others that do and it seems that at least two people today that have tried to use tracks are having difficulty where it just easily worked before within Field Maps.

Also with the new line feature, if I currently have created track views with the 'Tracks' point layer and 'Last Known Locations' point layer, how do I get the new line layer? Do I have to delete those views and create new ones to get the line? Is there a way to just update the view to include the line? I a good number of views set up in projects.

I appreciate any insight on the changes and the message about GPS not providing accuracy information above so I can better help our staff.

Thanks,

Kathy

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
kmsmikrud

Hi @Anonymous User ,

Thanks for the information regarding the tracks and how they upload. We actually had another user yesterday that said during their offline use/aerial survey the tracks showed up great, but I did not see any of their tracks uploaded to AGOL. Can you recommend what the user should do to now get those tracks uploaded to AGOL since their other survey data all synced? I have uploaded the log that shows the pending tracks and failed to upload. How do we get the tracks????? These tracks are from aerial surveys and colllected offline after hours of flying and right now daily flights. Is this the same bug and will it become a cumulative issue for today's flight and not being able to access the tracks? We really need the tracks to extract the altitude values to be used in survey estimate.

Also regarding tracks not showing up at all as @Shane_Shepherd mentions below. This was also the case for another user in which I included the troubleshooting log from 041921. While the tracks can work great at times we have had a number of issues where tracks cut in and out or the user can't get them to work at all such as what Shane describes below. It would be great to have more information to troubleshoot and get the tracks to work in these cases. Having the tracks display within the app is a great addition to data collection, but at the moment the tracks seem less than reliable in some cases.

I appreciate the information for the enhancement for showing pending tracks, I think this will be a good addition.

Thanks,

Kathy

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @kmsmikrud I've logged some issues internally to address the root cause of tracks not fully uploading. We are planning to address these for our June update. In the meantime, if you toggle tracking on/off it should trigger an upload of any pending tracks. If you look at the troubleshooting logs you will be able to see each batch of features upload. That's the best work-around for now.

The attached log has the same issue as the previous logs where some batches upload and then a batch fails due to what appears to be a network issue. Then the remaining tracks are not uploaded. So if in the morning before going offline tracking was toggled on/off it should trigger another upload attempt.

I'm not sure about why tracks wouldn't be captured. Can you describe how the devices are mounted/used? I haven't heard of a use-case like this before but it makes a lot of sense. I know when I've flown on commercial flights my tracks were not always recorded as expected -t he phone couldn't get location at times.

0 Kudos
kmsmikrud

Hi @Anonymous User ,

Thanks again for the information and review of the log file. It looks like after today's survey both tracks from yesterday and today uploaded so that is good news. I also appreciate the work-around for trying to trigger the tracks to upload.

We've had two of the surveyors not be able to get the tracks to be captured and one of them had successfully been collecting them for months until that last update. When I say aerial surveys these are in Alaska on Cessna and Super Cubs, so much smaller than the larger commercial aircraft.

The department has been using ArcPad for years in some areas for fisheries management, but in the last year have been migrating from ArcPad or from paper. Here is a web app showing one area survey's.

Southeast AK Herring Surveys 2021 (arcgis.com)

The biologists have the external GPS up on the dash of the aircraft that are blue-toothed to the iPad Pros. The tablets are just in their hands as they look out the window.

Hope this information is helpful because I feel like wildlife/fisheries surveys are a pretty common use case.

Thanks,

Kathy

0 Kudos
kmsmikrud

Hi @Anonymous User ,

One of the groups was out surveying yesterday and the one surveyors had a frustrating time with the tracks not working for a great distance and then repeatedly cutting in and out. The entire time the surveyor is seated in the plane. I've attached the troubleshooting log from yesterday and below is just one section where you can see the tracks are having an issue. The surveyor is using an iPad Pro with Garmin Glo external GPS.

5/6/21, 10:31 AM Tracking started 
5/6/21, 10:31 AM Tracking stopped 
5/6/21, 10:31 AM Deactivating snapping 
5/6/21, 10:31 AM Activating snapping 
5/6/21, 10:30 AM Failed to update last known location 
5/6/21, 10:30 AM stationary updating LKL service with last location 
5/6/21, 10:29 AM Failed to update last known location 
5/6/21, 10:29 AM stationary updating LKL service with last location 
5/6/21, 10:29 AM Regenerating lines 
5/6/21, 10:28 AM Failed to update last known location 
5/6/21, 10:28 AM stationary updating LKL service with last location 
5/6/21, 10:28 AM Regenerating lines 
5/6/21, 10:27 AM Location Manager failed: The operation couldn’t be completed. (kCLErrorDomain error 0.) 
5/6/21, 10:27 AM Current activity: Automotive Confidence: Low 
5/6/21, 10:27 AM Location Manager failed: The operation couldn’t be completed. (kCLErrorDomain error 0.) 
5/6/21, 10:27 AM Current activity: Automotive Confidence: Low 
5/6/21, 10:27 AM Tracking started 
5/6/21, 10:27 AM Tracking stopped 
5/6/21, 10:26 AM Regenerating lines 
5/6/21, 10:26 AM Current activity: Unknown Confidence: Low 
5/6/21, 10:26 AM Location Manager failed: The operation couldn’t be completed. (kCLErrorDomain error 0.) 
5/6/21, 10:26 AM Tracking started 
5/6/21, 10:26 AM Tracking stopped 
5/6/21, 10:26 AM Failed to update last known location 
5/6/21, 10:26 AM stationary updating LKL service with last location 
5/6/21, 10:25 AM Failed to update last known location 
5/6/21, 10:25 AM stationary updating LKL service with last location 
5/6/21, 10:25 AM tracks fail-safe timer triggered 
5/6/21, 10:24 AM Failed to update last known location 
5/6/21, 10:24 AM stationary updating LKL service with last location 
5/6/21, 10:23 AM Failed to update last known location 
5/6/21, 10:23 AM stationary updating LKL service with last location 
5/6/21, 10:22 AM Failed to update last known location 
5/6/21, 10:22 AM stationary updating LKL service with last location 
5/6/21, 10:21 AM Failed to update last known location 
5/6/21, 10:21 AM stationary updating LKL service with last location 
5/6/21, 10:20 AM Failed to update last known location 
5/6/21, 10:20 AM stationary updating LKL service with last location 
5/6/21, 10:19 AM Failed to update last known location 
5/6/21, 10:19 AM stationary updating LKL service with last location 
5/6/21, 10:18 AM Failed to update last known location 
5/6/21, 10:18 AM stationary updating LKL service with last location 
5/6/21, 10:17 AM Failed to update last known location 
5/6/21, 10:17 AM stationary updating LKL service with last location 
5/6/21, 10:16 AM Failed to update last known location 
5/6/21, 10:16 AM stationary updating LKL service with last location 
5/6/21, 10:15 AM Current activity: Automotive Confidence: High 
5/6/21, 10:15 AM Location Manager failed: The operation couldn’t be completed. (kCLErrorDomain error 0.) 
5/6/21, 10:14 AM Failed to update last known location 
5/6/21, 10:14 AM stationary updating LKL service with last location 

Currently there are 2 surveyors in the plane using Field Maps with the tracker extension, between the two of them I don't think in the last 4 surveys they have had a day where both surveyors were able to easily collect tracks the entire survey, one or both of them would have tracks stop/start throughout the survey.

Thanks for your insight as to what might be happening. I believe this is similar to Shane Shepherd's experience as well.

Thanks,

Kathy

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Are there gaps in tracks only when you see lines like this in the logs?

Location Manager failed: The operation couldn't be completed. (kCLErrorDomain error 0.) 

Could you compare the track point location_timestamp values to the times in the logs and see there's any pattern?

It looks like there's no issues between 10:31 and 12:15. Are there tracks for that period of time? What about after that?

0 Kudos