Select to view content in your preferred language

Toggle basemap on/off in Field Maps app?

Jump to solution
01-26-2024 07:24 AM
SarahKendell
New Contributor III

Is it possible to toggle a basemap on and off in the Field Maps app? My thought is that turning off the basemap would reduce battery consumption on the collection device. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi,

No, this is not possible. I also don't think the basemap impacts battery consumption much.

In my experience these things will use the battery fastest:

• General device settings - always on display, music identification, apps running in background
  • Device communication settings (bluetooth, wifi and phone network)
  • Device communications - attempts to sync and upload/download data, GPS / location services

What you can do to reduce these is:

• Put on flight mode if working offline in areas of low connectivity, as more battery will be used to find weaker connections
  • Apply general battery optimization to the device - turn off always on display, bluetooth, music identification, run device battery optimization tools, lower screen brightness
  • Configure field maps to be more optimal with its battery and gps settings e.g.
  • Close apps not in use
  • Turn the screen off when not in use

A chatty location services application with the screen on is a big battery drainer. The above will help mitigate it, but realistically you'll want to be on a newer device with a good/fresh battery, apply general battery optimization practices, and probably keep a spare battery or vehicle charger at hand.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi,

No, this is not possible. I also don't think the basemap impacts battery consumption much.

In my experience these things will use the battery fastest:

• General device settings - always on display, music identification, apps running in background
  • Device communication settings (bluetooth, wifi and phone network)
  • Device communications - attempts to sync and upload/download data, GPS / location services

What you can do to reduce these is:

• Put on flight mode if working offline in areas of low connectivity, as more battery will be used to find weaker connections
  • Apply general battery optimization to the device - turn off always on display, bluetooth, music identification, run device battery optimization tools, lower screen brightness
  • Configure field maps to be more optimal with its battery and gps settings e.g.
  • Close apps not in use
  • Turn the screen off when not in use

A chatty location services application with the screen on is a big battery drainer. The above will help mitigate it, but realistically you'll want to be on a newer device with a good/fresh battery, apply general battery optimization practices, and probably keep a spare battery or vehicle charger at hand.

SarahKendell
New Contributor III

Thank you for the information! All things I'll have to implement internally and share with our partners. We do a lot of data collection on iPads that are aging. It probably wouldn't hurt to upgrade those devices.

0 Kudos