Symbol Size Change in Mobile Map Package Field Maps

06-02-2023 07:08 AM
vg11
by
Occasional Contributor

Hey everyone, there is probably a simple resolution to this but I can't seem to find it. I recently used ArcGIS Pro 3.1.1 to share a mobile map package for use in Fields Maps. Everything is going swiftly but I noticed the symbols in the map package are significantly smaller than what I have in my map. I will share 2 images comparing in this post. Is there a setting or something I am missing to maintain the size of the symbols? It is only happening to two of my layers, the most important layers of course. Thanks!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
MichaelLohr
Occasional Contributor II

We have found over the years that the symbology that is suitable in Desktop ArcMap or your desktop web browser, with the full size screens may not be appropriate for the smaller mobile devices. This goes for symbol size, font size as well as for linetype scales. Generally, what you do is to make a guess on sizes when you are building your map. Then when you publish the map, open it immediately on the typical mobile device being used in the field and evaluate how good your initial guess was. If you don't like the size, go back and resize in your source map document. You may or may not have to republish your map. Certain types of map changes do not require republishing. Close and reopen you map on the mobile device after resizing to clear the cache. If the symbol sizes don't adjust, then you will need to republish the map or at least the map service for that layer.

Hope that helps. 

0 Kudos
vg11
by
Occasional Contributor

I did what you suggested and I don't see any changes. Changed size, cleared cache, republished map. Does that mean it is just the Field Map and because it is mobile? It is odd because it is only two layers that I am having this issue with. Everything else is fine. 

0 Kudos
MichaelLohr
Occasional Contributor II

Yeah, that is strange. This issue has existed in the past in previous Field Map versions and Collector prior to that. I saw the post that says it has gotten a lot better in recent releases. 

What results do you get if you look at the same map on multiple mobile devices? Do they all reflect the same size symbology? And what about other published maps, have you tried changing symbol sizes on the source map and republishing, then seeing no change on the mobile devices? 

Try changing the symbol entirely, republish and see if the cache is really being cleared. I've also had to reboot the mobile device in certain odd circumstances to eliminate some unexpected behavior. Or physically reload a different map then switch back to force a reload and calls back to the data server.

It can be quirky. Keep chasing it. 

MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

It is a bit of figuring out what size will work best for your mobile worker.    It could be that a sizing property that you are using for you symbol is resulting in the difference that you are seeing.   In past releases, years ago, we did have a very noticeable difference in symbol size but it is much improved today in current releases.   I created this https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=61e4e3c2dd94485f99fc0c9e6297aee3  using default symbol sizing.  I set a reference scale for the map and for the layer with red symbol I turned off "Scale symbols" in the layer properties.  In the screenshots I am viewing the map in ArcGIS Pro and Field maps at nearly the same scale. 

symbol_size.jpg

0 Kudos
vg11
by
Occasional Contributor

 I think this is what you are referring to? I have it enabled for both layers but still see the change in size. 

11.PNG

I guess I should just mess around with the symbol size and hope something works? 

0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

here is another view of how it looks for me, photo of ArcGIS Pro and Field maps

MarkBockenhauer_0-1685728728820.png

0 Kudos