Search By Attribute Doesn't work in Field Maps

06-25-2021 11:49 AM
UlteigEngineers
New Contributor II

Hi Folks,

I've noticed that when I set up searching "By Layer" in a map's settings the searching works just fine in the browser, but it doesn't work in the field maps application. I've searched on the new Field Maps site and in the support forums, and I don't see anywhere else I'm supposed to enable this searching. Is this something we're not able to do in Field Maps? Set specific layers to be searchable offline?

20 Replies
WilliamTurpin1
New Contributor II
Unfortunately pressing enter/return provided no results. I directly copied the Asset ID I was searching for from the popup. Tried several times. Only addresses work.
SolanaFoo2
Occasional Contributor

I don't think it's silly!  The geocoding search pops up as you type, so why wouldn't you expect the search by attribute to do the same?!

MosquitoGIS
Occasional Contributor

I know it used to pop up automatically in classic collector.

0 Kudos
DavidCarpenter
Occasional Contributor

Well thank you for that, I can include with my instructions for field staff. 

I guess not seeing a drop down to pick a search like in Web App Builder; and then while typing the only options popping up being addresses followed by a blank screen once I had typed the entire serial number confused me enough that I never even thought to hit enter...LOL.  I just went into troubleshooting mode, are the searches there, did I not conifgure something right, etc.   Anyways, thanks! 

0 Kudos
VanessaSimps
Occasional Contributor III

has anyone had any luck with this? I have a sneaking suspicion that the layers I am trying to search aren't going to work because I have them published from our server and not hosted on AGO. And/Or because they are a Map Image Layer and not a layer? I really would like staff to have the ability to search on features or at the least, use our geocoder? But neither of these works in field maps. 

0 Kudos
VanessaSimps
Occasional Contributor III

I just tested something and it actually WORKED!! the layers I was trying to search was turned off in the layer list/legend of field maps by default. when I toggled the layer to visible and did the search it found the feature and I was able to zoom to it! 

0 Kudos
WilliamTurpin
New Contributor

This is now working for me too. Someone at my organization said to give it another try. Checked the settings page and the Search by Layers box was checked off (previously checked on). I checked it back on and Field Maps now searches by attributes (specified attributes/layers). Not sure how or why, but glad it is now working. We are still on Enterprise Portal 10.8.1.

keithjoiner
New Contributor II

I found that the search does not return any results if the layers configured for searching are not visible in the Field Maps app. I recommend that you check the layers list in the Field Maps app, ensure the search layer(s) are visible and try the search then. Best of luck, this resolved it for me. 

WilliamTurpin1
New Contributor II
For us, it was a setting that our ITS team who manages the enterprise servers had to change. Since I don’t have access to that I’m not sure what they did. If anyone else is still having this problem check with whoever installs/maintains the enterprise software on your server.
ConorFlynn
New Contributor III

I also had this issue but then found a solution:

The layer being searched has to be turned on in Field Maps.  If it is off by default or is turned off by the user, only geocoding results are returned.

Hope this helps...

0 Kudos