Select to view content in your preferred language

"Point not collected" on unconnected cell phone even when GPS accuracy is within accuracy settings

06-07-2024 07:58 AM
AndrewBraun
New Contributor II

Hello,

I am hoping to use an old (but not that old) Samsung Galaxy A51 5G with Field Maps for our crew completely offline as it will be used in remote locations. I don't want it to have to depend on the crew using their personal phones as a hotspot to operate, or ask them to install and use Field Maps on their personal phones. The phone is an old personal phone of mine that was wiped and has just Field Maps and other basic apps installed. It has a SIM card but is not on a network. Location is turned on. Offline areas are saved and appear to be working correctly when downloaded from Wi-Fi. I assumed GPS would work fine without any connectivity but I'm having issues.

When I select "Start Streaming", the GPS accuracy is listed as 4.7 m, and I have "Accuracy" under "Collection Settings" set to 50 m. However, the message at the top reads "Point not collected" even though it appears to be getting an accurate enough fix. I have let the device attempt to record for 10+ minutes without success. When "Start Streaming" is selected, a pop-up message appears that says "Streaming will resume once your position updates". Under the phone's Location settings, I turned off Wi-Fi scanning and Bluetooth scanning as the phone won't be using this anyway, this doesn't seem to affect the ability to record points either way. I am testing the phone outdoors under open sky, but under "GPS details", it lists 0/10 under "Satellites (used/visible)". The same map works fine with other connected devices. What's going on?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @AndrewBraun , you dont seem to be running into an accuracy constraint but rather the position coming from the GPS is stale. If you were falling outside of the required accuracy the message would be slightly different. If you tap to open the GPS details there is a row right at the top that shows when the GPS was last updated ie "Updated just now". What does this say for you when you receive this message? Is you location dot on the map blue or grey?

Regards,
Colin
0 Kudos
MichaelLohr
Occasional Contributor II
I would try rebooting the mobile device, but you may have already done that. Simple fixes sometimes work.
>From your notes, it seems that you are trying to collect data in an offline mode, then sync back up once back in good Wi-Fi signal, which should work. I am not as familiar with the Android version of Field Maps (FM), and I know there are some differences in the user interface and maybe some functions. But those should not be a reason for the mobile device to not know its current position. Recheck all your settings you mention, I have seen strange things change when you don't expect them.
Are you using any supplementary GPS software like Trimble Mobile Manager on the device? If you are not, I am not sure how you could see the number of satellites tracked/used. You mentioned only FM was installed, so the answer to this question is likely "No". Maybe Android shows you that as part of the onboard default GPS functions. For it to show 0/10 under a clear horizon indicates some issue maybe with the onboard GPS.
When you are in a mapping application like Google Maps or Google Earth, in good cellular area does the device show/track the current location? Without being on a cellular network at all, you would not be able to get any actual base mapping in Google Maps, but do you see a dot for your location? I would think the GPS would work even when no cell service exists. My iPhone does. Try to determine if the locational ability on your Galaxy is functioning at all, unrelated to FM. Your error message makes sense if the GPS function on your device is not working.
Sorry, that maybe not a lot of help. Maybe someone with better experience with Android might have a thought. Good luck.
0 Kudos