Published Feature Service displays in Collector but not Field Maps

Jump to solution
02-04-2021 08:44 AM
EmilyKnippel
New Contributor II

Good Morning,

I am working on migrating my editable field work map from Collector to Field Maps application. Currently our team's workflow is publishing a feature service from our Oracle Database using ArcMap 10.7.1 to the Server and adding that feature service REST URL into an ArcGIS Online map. That map is then used by our field crews in Collector and the layers display and can be edited. I can see that same map in Field Maps however the layers are not visible and immediately display an error message "Layer failed to load".  I am having a difficult time finding documentation on this so any input would be helpful.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
EmilyKnippel
New Contributor II

Hello!

I recently spoke with ESRI about my issue in regards to Field Maps and with some testing I was able to find a solution for my problem.

I have not seen the "Domain already exists" error the only one I was getting was "Layer Failed to Load" and I was getting it on all my layers. I did not have them grouped and it was a single feature class broken into multiple layers with definition queries defined on each of them. Since we are not using Portal yet I was publishing a service with Feature Access enabled to allow editing of our Oracle database. I am publishing to ArcGIS Server 10.7.1. 

With testing and the help of ESRI I was able to figure out that originally I turned off some unwanted attribute fields that didn't need to be seen during data collection within the mxd before publishing. These attributes were just in house "filler" attributes. Even though it worked in Collector for some reason in regards to Field Maps I needed to have ALL the fields turned on in order to view the data within the Field Maps mobile application. Once I published my layers with all attributes turned on I could then see all my data and edit in Field Maps with no error messages. 

I hope this helps!

Thanks!

Emily

View solution in original post

13 Replies
CraigCheeseman
New Contributor III

Hi Emily,  Troubleshooting this would be the same as for Collector or any other service issue.  Can you add the layer in AGO to a blank or new web map?  When the service was published you made sure to use the feature service URL and not the map service URL?  What occurs when you load the URL of the service in your web browser?

When you go into the Field Maps app in AGO what happens when you open the map in that app?

0 Kudos
EmilyKnippel
New Contributor II

Hello!

Yes, I did add the layers to a blank AGO map and created a new web map and the same issues appeared where the new map could display the layers in Collector and edits can be performed but the layers would not display in Field Maps. When I load the URL in a New Map on AGO browser the data appears as normal and I am able to edit and view. I also created a new map using the Map Viewer (Beta) and the same was happening, everything looks good on the browser and working fine in Collector but not in Field Maps. Not exactly sure what I'm missing here. I did delete the app and re-install but same results. Also, both options in the Map settings "Use in ArcGIS Collector" and "Use in ArcGIS Field Maps Mobile" are checked.

Thanks, I appreciate it!

0 Kudos
CraigCheeseman
New Contributor III

Hi,

I'm sorry but I want to make sure of the reference to Field Maps.  I am asking about the Field Maps Web App in AGO and not the field maps on the device like Collector.  Do you get an error when viewing it there?  If you are saying that I am sorry.  When both have the same name it is hard to decipher. 

0 Kudos
EmilyKnippel
New Contributor II

Hello!

Oh I see what you are saying, yes I can see it in the Field Maps Web App. The layers show up as "Editable Layers" and I can configure the form for each when I select them. Does that answer your question? My apologies on the confusion!

Thanks, I appreciate it!

0 Kudos
CraigCheeseman
New Contributor III

Hi,

Yes it does.  Unfortunately I was hoping for an error there as well to get a better understanding.  My experience with layers not loading in the device app is usually an issue where the user is not connected to our VPN.  In your situation it is loading in Collector so obviously you are meeting and security needs.  I would try and turn on logging if you are using an iOS device and see what it says.  Android is a bit more difficult but using Fiddler Everywhere has worked best for me.

0 Kudos
EmilyKnippel
New Contributor II

Hello!

Yeah, I was looking for some errors as well but haven't seen any so far while working on this. I do have  a VPN connection going while I try to access the layers. We use AnyConnect app for our VPN connection. I was thinking it might be that but my VPN connection seems to be working and I can see the layers in Collector. 

Thanks, I appreciate the help!

0 Kudos
GlenShepherd
Esri Contributor

Hi Emily,

I've recently encountered this issue (layers work in ArcGIS Collector not in ArcGIS Field Maps) with another ArcGIS Field Maps user. While we haven't yet narrowed down a solution, I was hoping to get more information on your data and web map.

We have encountered the "Layer failed to load" error but also have previously seen a "Domain already exists" error as well. Have you encountered this at all?

How are your feature layers configured within your map? For example, are there grouped feature layers or any view layers configured in the web map? Are all of them failing or only a select few?

What version of ArcGIS Server are you publishing to?

0 Kudos
EmilyKnippel
New Contributor II

Hello!

I recently spoke with ESRI about my issue in regards to Field Maps and with some testing I was able to find a solution for my problem.

I have not seen the "Domain already exists" error the only one I was getting was "Layer Failed to Load" and I was getting it on all my layers. I did not have them grouped and it was a single feature class broken into multiple layers with definition queries defined on each of them. Since we are not using Portal yet I was publishing a service with Feature Access enabled to allow editing of our Oracle database. I am publishing to ArcGIS Server 10.7.1. 

With testing and the help of ESRI I was able to figure out that originally I turned off some unwanted attribute fields that didn't need to be seen during data collection within the mxd before publishing. These attributes were just in house "filler" attributes. Even though it worked in Collector for some reason in regards to Field Maps I needed to have ALL the fields turned on in order to view the data within the Field Maps mobile application. Once I published my layers with all attributes turned on I could then see all my data and edit in Field Maps with no error messages. 

I hope this helps!

Thanks!

Emily

GlenShepherd
Esri Contributor

Thanks for the thorough description Emily! Very helpful.

We're also looking at a map where layers are filtered according to various definition queries, so I'm thinking this is related at the very least. I'm wondering, were you using an iOS device? Did you get the chance to test on an Android at any point?

Thanks again,

Glen.

0 Kudos