Pop-up Configuration in Map Viewer not persisting to Field Maps App but works from Classic

Jump to solution
06-15-2021 08:12 AM
kmsmikrud
Occasional Contributor III

Hello,

I am working on configuring pop-ups for map layers that are reference layers within the map and not being edited. I have the pop-up configured how I would like it in the New Map Viewer. For the editable layers I have the forms configured in the Field Maps web app and they look good. However when I open the web map in Field Maps app the configured pop-ups (saved in the New Map Viewer) are not retaining any of the formatting and just show default. The pop-ups configured in the Classic Map Viewer look good.

I am also having an issue regarding pop-ups for arcade FeatureSet pop-ups not showing in the Field Maps app but show both in the New Map Viewer and Classic Map Viewer. For the map saved in the New Map Viewer and then opened in the Field Maps app this arcade pop-up expression does not show. For the map saved in the Classic Map Viewer and then viewed in the Field Maps app the pop-up expression shows like I want. The original reply to an existing post is here.

Is anyone else having this experience? I feel like its tedious configuring all the pop-ups that I shouldn't have to do this in both Viewers (Classic/New) and I thought since the New Map Viewer has moved out of beta basic functionality in formatting pop-ups should be there.

Thanks!,
Kathy

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I looked at your map and I think I see the issue with the formatting of the popup being different in Field Maps vs Map Viewer. We have an issue opened internally where the TextFormatting.NewLine constant does not correctly create a line break when used inside a custom HTML popup. That issue is not assigned a release and has a dependency on a fix in the runtime. Is that the issue you are describing?

I can reproduce the issue where when a pre-planned offline area is used, the table data is not present. This does work for ad-hoc offline areas as well as with a connected map. I chatted with some folks and this is a current limitation with how pre-planned offline areas work with standalone tables. It's a bit complicated but the gist is that standalone tables are not supported with pre-planned areas at this time. So there is no data available in Field Maps (or any other app that is using pre-planned areas). I'm going to add some issues internally for us to revisit this area.

If the table is related to a feature layer, then this should work.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Unfortunately Field Maps does not support the new popup elements that the Map Viewer uses. This is a gap we are aware of and plan to address in the future. Some tips about Field Maps, Map Viewer, and Map Viewer Classic are available in this blog post.

Regarding the FeatureSet issue, are you able to share you map with us? You can share it into a group (including the layers) and invite the arcgisfieldmaps user to the group.

0 Kudos
kmsmikrud

Hi @Anonymous User ,

Thanks for the link on the blog post. I had not seen that one. Earlier this year in configuring the Field Maps form I remember other Field Map posts about recommending to use the Map Viewer Beta at that time, so I had went that route.

I'm finally getting back to this and have several arcade expressions in the popups. I am now also seeing a new issue that I'm hoping you can help resolve.  In my original query, the FeatureSets were using 'FeatureSetByRelationshipName' and accessing related table data within the map/pop-up. This works fine in both the Classic/New Map Viewer web maps. I believe this is also working in Field Maps app, but the formatting of the pop-up does not look like what it does in the web map including a Classic saved web map. The blog article states the Classic web map and Field Maps app pop-up should look the same (I'm not seeing this for the FeatureSets.

The new issue is I am pulling data from a database with the edited 2021 survey data and  hosted as a table on AGOL. For these arcade expressions I am using FeatureSetByName to access the tables for the same features instead of a related table in the original raw data. These expressions are working fine in the web map. However when I create an offline map area, they are now showing the same results as the web map, they are not finding the table data and printing the else statement in the expression "no 2021 surveys found". Interesting enough the original expressions with the related tables are working offline.

I was so excited to get these expressions working in the web map and was viewing in the Field Maps app and annoyed at the loss of formatting, but even worse is now these expressions do not work offline with the hosted table data even though I have it set for syncing. The surveyors all work offline so this is a big bummer in not being to view the reference data.

I have created a group in org, named 'CF-Field Maps Salmon Survey Testing' and invited the arcgisfieldmaps user to the group. In the group you can see the web map and pop-ups. This map was saved to Classic from the New Map  Viewer so I do see notices in opening on that.  If you could please try and opening the web map viewing the pop-up for the stream points. Then view the map in Field Maps, here you will see all the expressions in the pop-up working, despite the formatting being much different than the web map. Then please create an offline area in which you will only see the expression under 'Raw Data' populate all the rest will say no data in 2021 found. Why would hosted tables enabled with sync not be working offline in the Field Maps app? Is this a known issue?

Thanks again!

Kathy

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I looked at your map and I think I see the issue with the formatting of the popup being different in Field Maps vs Map Viewer. We have an issue opened internally where the TextFormatting.NewLine constant does not correctly create a line break when used inside a custom HTML popup. That issue is not assigned a release and has a dependency on a fix in the runtime. Is that the issue you are describing?

I can reproduce the issue where when a pre-planned offline area is used, the table data is not present. This does work for ad-hoc offline areas as well as with a connected map. I chatted with some folks and this is a current limitation with how pre-planned offline areas work with standalone tables. It's a bit complicated but the gist is that standalone tables are not supported with pre-planned areas at this time. So there is no data available in Field Maps (or any other app that is using pre-planned areas). I'm going to add some issues internally for us to revisit this area.

If the table is related to a feature layer, then this should work.

0 Kudos
kmsmikrud

Hi @Anonymous User ,

Thanks so much for taking a look at the web map, Field Maps app (online and offline). Yes that is correct on the formatting and absence of the line breaks. Although the interesting thing is that it works sometimes, but not others is that possible. Its hard to know between the classic and new map viewer and saving as between the different viewers and then what works. This is good info to know though on and so much appreciate it.

Darn on the standalone tables, but also good to know as I create the pre-planned areas for biologists right now. I will work to reconfigure the tables to be related then as a work around.  I believe in Collector this feature of being able to access featuresets offline was not possible so it is still very exciting that this will work.

Thank-you for such a quick response.

Kathy

0 Kudos
kmsmikrud

Hi @Anonymous User ,

Just an update, but I reconfigured so the stand alone tables are now related to the stream point AGOL feature layer. The pop-ups with the info from the tables using the FeatureSetByRelationshipName are all now working with the pre-planned offline areas. The formatting is pretty awful though.

I am however having an issue with labels for new features added. There is definitely something weird going on and I've spent several hours trying to get the labels to show as I want but in the offline app they keep defaulting back to the original labels I had. After the original labels were created I added a number of fields to the feature layer and the labels were changed. I have went back and forth so many times between the two map viewers but somewhere along the way the Field Maps app won't honor the new labels. Its a bit crazy because the new labels will work in the app when its connected, but once I download an offline map they revert to the original labels (again, again, and again) no matter what I do. I haven't had this issue before, but have now repeated it on 3 different web maps for various areas I help and its frustrating. Is this a known issue? I didn't see anything in the blog post link on labels.

Thanks for any insights,

Kathy

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

If you add new fields (or remove fields), you need to re-create the offline area to pick up the schema changes. So delete the offline area on the mobile app, then in AGOL or Field Maps re-create the offline area. Then in the mobile app, download the area and open it. Does that fix it?

0 Kudos
kmsmikrud

Yes, I've been re-creating the offline maps and removing altogether on several different web maps.  The labels in the one layer of interest will show different results on the app when its connected to when the same map is taken offline for a pre-planned area. Its like there are settings the map won't let go of for the labels. I haven't had that happen. I likely should removing the layer from the map altogether and see if adding it fresh works. It is really weird behavior though.

0 Kudos
FMBAdmin
New Contributor III

Hi Aaron - is there any kind of fix/trick to get the TextFormatting.NewLine to come across in Field Maps for related records? My expression for related records looks great in the new map viewer, but the whole point is for offline use where it is basically unreadable to the user (I attached two snips in the map and offline in Field Maps). If I do the same expression in the classic map viewer, it also doesn't work in Field Maps or Collector. I'm really torn on what map viewer we should be using when half of the things work in one and half work in the old one. Makes having to build about 20 map apps for folks quite the headache. I was also hoping the related table would be configurable in the form builder for Field Maps since the expression doesn't work, but Field Maps will not pull the related table into the form viewer either. I thought this was a supported functionality? 

Is there a timeline on when the pop-ups from the new map viewer will be supported? We would like to use the form functionality in Field Maps, but also have several S123 linked forms that the custom pop up won't transfer over to Field Maps currently. 

Thanks for your time. 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Unfortunately, there is no work-around for this. There is an internal issue logged with the ArcGIS Runtime which must be addressed for the New Line token to work correctly. This affects popups configured with either Map Viewer Classic or Map Viewer.

Related tables can have forms defined for data collection. You have to select the table in the web app and build a form for it.

We are considering supporting the new popup elements early next year but have not committed to it yet.

0 Kudos