Photo while collecting line feature

Jump to solution
01-14-2021 08:00 PM
DavidLitke
Occasional Contributor

Is it possible to take a photo while collecting a line feature?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JeffShaner
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey @DavidLitke - that's correct. We don't support "nested collection" at this time. Its a feature that we have in our backlog but I don't think we will be able to address soon.

Something to consider trying - submit the line feature and then select and edit it after capturing point(s). The endpoint of the line will be highlighted and you can then extend/continue the line. Its not idea, lots of extra taps, but it might be a workaround you can use for lines. Note that won't work with polygons.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AlixPower
Esri Contributor

HI @DavidLitke 

Yes it is possible to attach a photo to a line feature, as well as a point and a polygon. 

Alix

0 Kudos
DavidLitke
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for your reply. If I may elaborate on my question, I see that if a feature class is enabled for attachments then you can attach photos in Field Maps without interrupting the collection of the line vertices. However you cannot view the location of the photos or enter notes about each photo.

On the other hand, if you relate a point table to a line feature class, and then enable the point table for attachments, you can view the locations of the photos and add add notes for each photo. But in this case you must submit the line data before you can access the related point table and take a photo. Same issue if you have an independent point feature class enabled for attachments.

But it is not possible to capture photos as points with attributes at the same time as you are collecting a line?

0 Kudos
JeffShaner
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey @DavidLitke - that's correct. We don't support "nested collection" at this time. Its a feature that we have in our backlog but I don't think we will be able to address soon.

Something to consider trying - submit the line feature and then select and edit it after capturing point(s). The endpoint of the line will be highlighted and you can then extend/continue the line. Its not idea, lots of extra taps, but it might be a workaround you can use for lines. Note that won't work with polygons.

0 Kudos
DavidLitke
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, I think your work around will work fine for us!

0 Kudos
EricBerkowitz
New Contributor

Jeff,

Trying out collector to see if this will meet our needs. I work for a subsurface utility engineering company. We collect high precision survey data and locator depth/height information on underground and aboveground utility lines. We'd like to be able to set up collector to collect line features and at each observation along the line record the GPS position and metadata and the data from the locate instrument. 

I've been looking through this site and others to see if someone else has already asked about this and I can't seem to find an answer. Is this "nested collection" that isn't supported at this time?

Any suggested work arounds. We could collect individual points put they'd need to be associated somehow so we could "chain" the observations together after they were collected. Any thought on how to set this up if it's possible workaround?

0 Kudos
ScottSweet
New Contributor II

I spent the whole day capturing photos while recording a line feature and stupidly assumed it would geotag the photos like every other app.  Is there a way to extract the lat/long from photos attached to a single line feature?  I have 131 photos attached to two lines and can't get the x, y for any of them.  I can't even use the time on the photo to sync with the line feature because there is no info about gps track time either.  I would never have used Field maps and wasted a day if I knew this would be the case.

0 Kudos