Photo geotag on line feature

05-12-2022 06:18 PM
ScottSweet
New Contributor II

I spent the whole day capturing photos while recording a line feature and stupidly assumed it would geotag the photos like every other app.  Is there a way to extract the lat/long from photos attached to a line feature?  I have 131 photos attached to two lines and can't get the x, y for any of them.  I can't even use the time on the photo to sync with the line feature because there is no info about gps track time either. 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

I think you are out of luck with that. 

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

I don't know how your doing it, but I would have created a point feature with attachments enabled.

then at each spot I want to take a picture, I would create a point on the fly and attach my photos.

IF that is what you did then you can attribute the X,Y to your Attachment table

Also If you took the pictures with a phone that has location enabled then it should have captured the x,y of each photo you took.  Keeping in mind you are going to be up to 30 meter accurate.

0 Kudos
ScottSweet2
New Contributor III

Thanks for the reply Robert.  I've attached photos to point features many times, and I didn't realize Field Maps would not only disregard the locations of the photo while recording a line feature, but actually seems to strip the geotag locations from the photos.  I know I had location activated on my phone because I was using it to record tracks and when I look at the photos I took just with the phone outside of Field Maps I was able to get the lat/long of those just by looking at them in Google maps.  Strangely enough the exif data does not show lat/long but google knows where I took the photos.  It was a pain getting those lat/long from Google photos because I had to click on each photo and then click on the "show in google maps" option to see the lat/long.  

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

I have never used the tool much less geo tagged photo's.  So I just did a test run.  It looks like in my results that your results were created using the GeoTagged Photos to Points Tool.  I would guess then you did not have location enabled on your device, or your device is not capable of saving location info for the photos.

RobertBorchert_0-1652731303898.png

0 Kudos
ScottSweet2
New Contributor III

I've used geotagged photos to points tool in the past, with the same phone, with no problem, so I'm not sure what changed.  I checked that location was enabled on my phone so it is baffling to me.  The reason I tried using that tool in this instance is because I had to first use a script to get the photos downloaded from my hosted feature layer in ArcGIS Online.  I was hoping I would be able to use the tool to create a new points feature class after downloading all the photos to my machine but no luck.  I'll just have to re-do the work I guess.  My bad for assuming ESRI would keep x,y location of photos along a path that is "streaming".

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

So the line you were streaming has attachment's enabled and you were taking pictures and associating them with the line.

I do not think the Attachments table stores EXIF data.

However, if they are in the Attachment table and related to the line you should be able to add the X,Y location to the Attachments table

0 Kudos