Offline map with calculated expressions goes white after viewing a web map (online) on iPad? What is going on?

06-22-2022 09:41 AM
kmsmikrud
Occasional Contributor III

Hello,

I updated a web map to have calculated expressions in the survey form for several fields. In briefly testing all looks great and I tested with an offline map and syncing. Today the crew downloaded the updated offline map and all was looking good on their end.

We also have a web map (online) that has a hosted join layer of the same data in the offline map. This displays when connected an updated view of markers that have been visited this year and others still needing surveying which is really great. However after reading post by @OliverIshmael  maybe this is because both a feature layer (point) and the related survey table are used to create the hosted join layer in the online web map. As Oliver points out, "Feature layers that participate in view layers with joins cannot have their schema altered and are always read-only and cannot be used offline". Is this causing my offline map to crash? @PaulBarker 

However after looking at the other web map on the device and then returning to the downloaded offline map, that map is now all white? I've never had this happen before but I can duplicate and they can as well. Is it because of the calculated expressions in the updated offline map or what would be causing this? When I look in the troubleshooting log within Field Maps everything looks good except for this message "[] Feature tiling disabled"?

The crew works offline and from a boat so a working offline map is crucial since they don't have a connection to download a new one after leaving the office.

Update: I removed the calculated expressions from a saved version of the map, created an offline area. This looks good at first but after viewing the other web map and then returning to the offline map on the device the map is white and similar for another offline map in the same group of maps yet a completely separate project and not the same data for the the hosted join layer. Lastly I have now tried viewing offline maps and then viewing other 'live web maps' on the iPad and then returning to an offline map and they are indeed white. Is this now because of an AGOL/Field Maps June update?

Thanks in advance,

Kathy

0 Kudos
8 Replies
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @kmsmikrud ,

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "goes white" or perhaps provide a screenshot? Does this happen right when you open the map or are you performing some action/collection?

The June release is not until tonight/tomorrow for AGOL and Field Maps so it should not be release related. 

Colin

Regards,
Colin
0 Kudos
kmsmikrud

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the info on the updates and not being the cause. I've attached two screenshots from Field Maps on the iPad here. One shows the original offline map after downloading and then the offline map after viewing a 'live map' on the iPad. While this isn't a common practice of viewing other web maps on the iPad we do use a lot of offline maps and I don't remember having this issue before.

Again in the Field Maps troubleshooting log the only thing I see of significance is the [] Feature tiling disabled.

Would so appreciate any insight. I could also add you to a group for you to see if you can replicate.

Thanks in advance,

Kathy

0 Kudos
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

@kmsmikrud The "Feature tiling disabled" log is likely a red herring in this case. It sounds like perhaps you have eliminated the calculated expressions as the culprit but do you have any other maps that exhibit this behavior? Does this happen when you open any other "live" map or is it specific to the one you mentioned in your original post, with the joined layer?

What types of layers are in the offline map?

Are they preplanned or on demand offline areas?

Trying to see if I can reproduce on my end...

Regards,
Colin
0 Kudos
kmsmikrud

Hi Colin,

I removed the calculations from the one map shown above, but I still see the issue although almost feel like there could be residual funk possibly in that map since it is a save as of the original map. The layers included in the web map are hosted AGOL feature layers and tables. In additional AGOL reference layers like hybrid reference are included in the web map. The offline maps use side-loaded tile packages for imagery basemaps. I can open other 'live' maps and so it seems not specific to the one I mentioned above with the joined layer. I can reproduce with a couple of other offline maps that are generated from separate web maps but use some of the same feature layers w/ related tables as the screenshots below. 

I also have an offline map that included calculated expressions that isn't having this issue using these same layers in a different web map. 

So I'm not sure. Last week we were having issues with even be able to generate preplanned offline areas that I believe has now been resolved. I will try with an on demand for one of the maps having issues and see if there is an issue with that one.

These are preplanned offline areas generated in the web map settings.

Thanks for seeing if you can reproduce. So far its myself and another crew both using iPads that can reproduce. So a bit of inconsistency that I can't pinpoint the cause except I see it on several offline maps and pretty soon will have like 15 people using these maps regularly remotely. Although most are not viewing other live maps just using for offline data collection.

**I tried on demand downloads from the iPads on two of the maps that are having issues and both have the same behavior with screen going white/blank after viewing another map. Just wanted to update

thanks!

0 Kudos
kmsmikrud

Just an update today I'm having an issue just viewing different offline maps and then the maps going white. So far these are ones in which I have added calculated expressions to in the last week. Another offline map using the same data without calculated expressions ever added does not seem to have this behavior yet. Nor other previous offline maps using different data going back and forth does not cause those to basically lose the offline map. 

It also seems that offline maps with calculated expressions are taking longer to download for the same map extent in the web map settings compared to offline maps without calculated expressions.

0 Kudos
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

@kmsmikrud I would suggest reaching out to Support if you can at this point. I cannot seem to reproduce this same behavior so it may be more effective for them to continue troubleshooting directly with you to narrow down the cause. If you get a case number feel free to reference it here and I can keep in touch.

Colin

Regards,
Colin
0 Kudos
kmsmikrud

Thanks Colin for trying to duplicate. I wish the issue wasn't there but I've spent a good day and half trying to troubleshoot. I will submit a tech support case and hopefully they can figure out. thanks

0 Kudos
NatalieScott_HVP
New Contributor II

Hi @kmsmikrud, I am experiencing the same issue. When I download offline areas (created from AGOL or on the mobile device) these will work fine for a few minutes, then go white. If I close the app and reopen it, they will work for another few minutes before the same thing occurs.

Curiously, I can still search for and find features in these whited-out areas, but nothing appears on the screen.

Did you find a resolution to this issue?

Regards,

Natalie

0 Kudos