I have a feature service in AGOL...originally published with a "point type" domain (list of values) about a year ago. I use this layer in a map -- and it is symbolized in the map using this "point type" domain.
Today, I added additional values to the "point type" domain. I added the values to the map in the map viewer, symbolized them, and saved.
In Field Maps (or Collector), when I go to add a new point, these new values are not an option. However, if I add a point of one of the original domain values, I can then switch it to one of the new values. It will then display properly in the map.
Is there a way to fix this? This is also happening with other layers in my map.
Would it be possible for you to share a copy of that map with me to test on my end? If so, please invite the ArcGISFieldMaps user into a group with the map and services.
Done. Just Invited the ArcGISFieldMaps user to the group.
The "Twelve Mile Sale Preparation Map (EDIT)" is a good map to test. Both the "Timber Point Info" and "Timber Line Info" are having this issue. New point feature types include "Winching Required" and "Directional Felling." New line feature types include "Stand Break" and "Prescription Break." They are not an option to create as a new feature...but if you create a feature with one of the original types, you can then switch it and it will display correctly.
Thank you @MatthewDiskin for that information.
The problem doesn't actually appear to be with Field Maps but rather the feature service(s) itself for the Timber Point/Line.
If you were to view the JSON for those layers and scroll about midway down to the "types" section, you will notice that all of the types listed here are what's accessible in Field Maps when creating new features and has the same missing values. The "types" generally refer to the unique values specified with the symbology renderer. These types also include the editing templates which are what gets displayed in Field Maps when tapping the Collect + tool to capture a new feature.
Therefore in general, the templates listed in Field Maps should match the templates listed in the ArcGIS Online Map Viewer when choosing Edit.
For the Timber Point layer between the Map Viewer and the feature service itself, these are the missing "types"
- Timber and logging good
- Timber and logging bad
- Directional felling
- Winching required
- Tractor ground
- Skyline ground
- Special measures area
I am curious if inside the Map Viewer you chose the option for 'Save Layer' for the Timber Points layer if it would update the JSON of the feature service to include those new/missing types?
Same for the Timber Lines layer?
Once we can confirm that the JSON lists all the correct "types", you should be able to see the templates correctly in Field Maps when creating new features.
Thanks Kevin! I see what you're talking about with the JSON. I don't have time to mess with it today, but will try your suggestion on Thursday -- I understand what you're getting at. FIngers crossed :)
Best I can tell, that didn't work. At least it did not allow those values to be input as new features in Field Maps. And, it appears that the JSON didn't update either...but I'm not positive that I'm looking in the right place for the JSON. I appreciate the help. Any insight is appreciated, as this is an issue with another layer in another map...same thing...added domain types after the initial map creation, and those are not options for collecting a new feature. But are options to switch to.
@MatthewDiskin Thank you for that information.
I published my own copy of your Timber Points feature service on my end so that I can test with it further.
I saw the same issue where the types in the JSON still was not listing all the values I listed above even after I chose 'Save Layer'.
Therefore I tried this and it appeared to work, which is strange.
1. In the ArcGIS Online Map Viewer choose 'Edit'
2. At the bottom choose 'Manage'.
3. Next to one of the templates, such as 'Directional felling', choose the arrow and choose 'Properties'
4. At the top where is says 'Label', make a simple change such as deleting and re-adding back the letter 'g' for 'felling'. Essentially we just need to make a simple change to trigger the 'Save Changes' button to be active.
5. Click Done
6. Choose 'Save Changes'. This process should update the JSON of the feature service and add in all the missing types. I verified this on my end in Field Maps and can now see all the missing templates.
This is what I was trying to achieve with 'Save Layer', but apparently these aren't the same processes.
Please try this and let me know if that works.
Yes, I saw your previous post, but haven't had a chance to try it. It's kind of hard managing making changes to the map with people that are using it in the field. Plus, I've been busy. Sorry :( Thanks for the follow up. I'll keep you posted.