More Visibility For Trackers

02-11-2021 08:20 AM
JamesCunningham5
New Contributor III

Maybe there's a way to do this - but giving users more visibility to their tracks and their co workers tracks via Field Maps would be awesome. 72 Hours is the max period of time but It would be awesome to extend that. I use FieldMaps/Tracking for a team of Leak Surveyors on a natural gas system. 

Tags (2)
4 Replies
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @JamesCunningham5 ,

What is your use case for viewing extended tracks and what would be a useful time frame for you? As an alternative, you can add a track view of your uploaded tracks to a Web Map and view them that way, given the proper permissions. 

Regards,

Colin

Regards,
Colin
0 Kudos
JamesCunningham5
New Contributor III

Thanks Colin, I hadnt thought of making a View and using that. Will the Track View behave more like a regulars share feature class? I will try this and see if it does what I need. As far as a use case, I've got Gas Techs surveying about 1000 miles of distribution pipe on an ongoing basis, at times they are doing other things and need to get back to where they left off or where a coworker left off and it could be several days to a week later.  

0 Kudos
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Of course the track view wouldn't be live and would depend on field workers uploading their tracks in the field or at the end of the day for them to be reflected in the view. With this workflow, you can also symbolize the tracks and last known locations how you want and cater it to your needs.

There would certainly be device storage concerns about storing tracks on a device for longer periods of time, but if we continue to hear that this would be useful for customers we would certainly consider alternatives. Thank you for the feedback!

Regards,

Colin

Regards,
Colin
LindsayRaabe_FPCWA
Occasional Contributor III

Hi @ColinLawrence. I don't know if this is possible now, but could the track that is currently set to 72 hours be changed to a number of vertices or distance travelled?

I.e. show last 1000 points, or last 10,000 metres, so whether you've travelled a lot in a day or a little each day over a week, the track would always be there up to a pre-defined length. This type of behaviour is what a lot of people in our organisation are used to from long term use of the OziExplorer app, and anything that we can do to help bring over those "basic" functions helps with converting the masses to Field Maps. 

Lindsay Raabe
GIS Officer
Forest Products Commission WA
0 Kudos