Mobile Map Packages Crash in Field Maps (Android)

07-21-2021 12:05 PM
KevinMorris2
New Contributor III

I recently decided to remove the Explorer App from our Android tablets and smart phones and utilize Field Maps for reviewing Mobile Map Packages. Unfortunately, in all cases with the available build for Field Maps (7/21/2021), Mobile Map Packages crash Field Maps. In some cases Field Maps just blips out when you activate it, in other cases (tablets in particular), the map package will load and function ok for a while unless the user tries to navigate or pan the window just after opening the mobile map package.

At this junction, we have discontinued use of Field Maps for Mobile Map Packages and reverted back to the Explorer App (Android). This issues has not been tested for iOS.

14 Replies
KevinMorris2
New Contributor III

Partial Solution :  Side load mmpk into active logged in Account Folder.

I've recently found that mmpk's will function properly if put in a user (or guest) folder within field maps.

e.g. PC\Nokia 6.1\Internal shared storage\Android\data\com.esri.fieldmaps\files

We just can't put it in the mmpk folder that is supposed to allow anyone to use it. This is not a cure-all, but another option. Of course you will need to put the mmpk within the mmpk folder within the user (or guest) folder. On my phone it works in all three of the blue circled account folders. My phone is not setup for sd card storage, so I have not tested this location out yet.

KevinMorris2_1-1633015717884.png

KevinMorris2_2-1633015823620.pngKevinMorris2_3-1633016034542.png

again, the above circled guest account could be substituted with any account folder.

Hope this helps. It still is not there.

rescuemap
New Contributor III

Thanks Kevin - you're a legend! This works for me, I agree it's still a workaround but now we have working offline maps and that's a huge improvement. Thanks again, very much appreciated.

0 Kudos
KevinMorris2
New Contributor III

Rescue Map.

Don't forget that you can still use the Explorer App for the sideload. If you really need to make sure Everyone that holds the devices has access to the map, Explorer is still the way to go for Android.

We also don't have this issue with Field Maps/iOS. It works fine, only that working with someone else's device is more problematic from the security/2FA viewpoint for installing apps and transferring files.

0 Kudos
rescuemap
New Contributor III

Thanks Kevin, I want to be single app as users hated the explorer / collector / tracker setup field maps is supposed to replace. Everything seems to work better on iOS, I've had few issues there but majority of our devices are android. I guess having explorer as backup is the way to go for now. 

0 Kudos
SW_-_BrandyHurtado__GISS_
New Contributor

Updating the app on the Android solved the problem for me. Easy peezy.

0 Kudos