Select to view content in your preferred language

Location Permission "Always On" missing for Field Maps on Android

07-19-2023 08:12 AM
JuanCervera
New Contributor

When tracking my location on field maps, the streaming location gets interrupted when the app is in the background. I would think the solution is to change the location permission from "Always when the app is in use" to "Always On". However the "Always On" option is missing for Field Maps. I know it is available for other apps, such as Avenza, but not for field maps. I set up field maps to use unrestricted data, no limit on battery use, and functions normally in the background.

Any potential solutions or explanations to this issue? May be from the field map side of things, or it could be from the android side of things?

3 Replies
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @JuanCervera , just to clarify, are you referring to Location Sharing (used to be called Tracking) or the streaming of line or polygon features? Both instances should work in the background but with a little different logic under the hood. With the way both of these functionalities are implemented on Android we do not need the "Always on" location permissions to get locations in the background, only the permission "when in use". Also, Android generally discourages and restricts when "Always" can be used.

Regards,
Colin
0 Kudos
JuanCervera
New Contributor

Hey @ColinLawrence , Thank you for the reply. I was looking for information on streaming a line or polygon feature specifically. You are correct, FieldMaps was able to get the locations in the background after I tried it again yesterday. This was following some additional permissions granted in how much Field Maps can continue running/using data in the background. I appreciate the response.

-Juan

0 Kudos
Daniel_Perkins
New Contributor III

Hi @JuanCervera ... just out of curiosity, what "additional permissions" did you need to update? I'm having recent issues with streaming a line on Android. The streaming isn't working well when the app is in the background.

Thanks!

0 Kudos