Layers in Field Maps Not Editable

Jump to solution
02-01-2021 09:04 AM
edatdcamm
New Contributor

I have created a map in AGOL with editable layers. However, even though I checked the "Make Available in Field Maps App" under the map settings, it opens in the Field Maps app as "read-only", and there are no edit options available for the individual layers. How can I make the map editable? FYI, the feature layers within the maps are already showing as editable in AGOL.

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

Hi @edatdcamm 

I just wanted to follow-up to see if you'd been able to test what I suggested above by resaving the map to see if the ability to edit in Field Maps changes? 

In general, when saving a web map that supports editing, certain keywords are added into the web map's JSON. One of the keywords being `Data Editing` that other apps including Field Maps use to allow the user to edit. The fact that that keyword wasn't written for that map despite the fact that you can edit in ArcGIS Online is the strange behavior. Therefore this is why I am suggesting resaving and disable/reenable editing in the map to trigger that keyword to get written as a test.

Thanks

-Kevin

View solution in original post

KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

Hi @RobynSnookCCB 

Thank you for that feedback. In the recent release of ArcGIS Field Maps v21.2 on both iOS and Android we addressed the issue where you needed to have `Use in ArcGIS Collector` enabled in order to edit in Field Maps. This should no longer be the case and you should be able to disable the use in Collector and retain the ability to edit in Field Maps.

- Are you working with the current release of Field Maps?

- Are you able to disable use in ArcGIS Collector and still edit in Field Maps if so?

Thanks

-Kevin

View solution in original post

26 Replies
KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

Hi @edatdcamm 

In the Web Map settings do you also have 'Use in ArcGIS Collector' enabled as well? Currently this is a requirement for editing in ArcGIS Field Maps.

Thank you

-Kevin

edatdcamm
New Contributor

Hello Kevin,

In my Web Map settings I do not have 'Use in ArcGIS Collector' showing as an option, only 'Use in Field Maps',

Ed Durbeck

0 Kudos
RobynSnookCCB
New Contributor III

I was having the issue of where a map could be edited in Fields map on android but not on IOS. Everything was setup correctly. The issue was I didn't have "Use in ArcGIS Collector" enabled since we are moving over to field maps. This caused some inconvenience, it really should be highlighted when selecting these options.

0 Kudos
KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

Hi @RobynSnookCCB 

Thank you for that feedback. In the recent release of ArcGIS Field Maps v21.2 on both iOS and Android we addressed the issue where you needed to have `Use in ArcGIS Collector` enabled in order to edit in Field Maps. This should no longer be the case and you should be able to disable the use in Collector and retain the ability to edit in Field Maps.

- Are you working with the current release of Field Maps?

- Are you able to disable use in ArcGIS Collector and still edit in Field Maps if so?

Thanks

-Kevin

RobynSnookCCB
New Contributor III

Hi Kevin,

You are right, I did not notice that the app required an update and it is working now disable from collector.

Thank you

0 Kudos
KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

Hi @edatdcamm 

Do you know if the ArcGIS Collector application has been blocked within your ArcGIS Online organization? 

To check, see https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/administer/configure-security.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_2CBC381FFA65...

Thank you

-Kevin

0 Kudos
edatdcamm
New Contributor
Hi Kevin,

The Collector app is not blocked (no apps are in our AGOL, of which I am the administrator). Of note is that the Collector app does not appear when clicking on the App Launcher icon in AGOL, but it does appear in the list of apps in the "Block apps" setting in the Security section of Organizational Settings.

Ed Durbeck

EDWARD F. DURBECK IV

Program Coordinator III

[cid:da1a9b02-b752-4eaa-a3ce-e53b045b27a5]

Division of Capital Asset Management & Maintenance

Office of Finance and Administration

One Ashburton Place, 15th Floor, Boston, MA 02108

www.mass.gov/dcamm

PHONE 617-727-4050

DIRECT 781-395-2588

0 Kudos
KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

Hi @edatdcamm 

The app launcher will not list Collector as it does not have a web app like Field Maps does. Therefore that is expected in that case. 

In the original post, you mentioned opening the map in the Field Maps app. Just for clarification, are you referring to the mobile app or the web app? 

Also if you go to Licenses, do you have a Field Apps section with the mobile apps listed?

Thank you

-Kevin

0 Kudos
edatdcamm
New Contributor
Hi Kevin,

Yes, I am opening the map in the Field Maps mobile app. In the "Field Apps Bundle" in our AGOL Licenses section, both ArcGIS Field Maps and ArcGIS Collector are included, as well as three other apps,

Ed Durbeck

EDWARD F. DURBECK IV

Program Coordinator III

[cid:3a7f49e4-c3f1-44de-b643-0db59ec1b16a]

Division of Capital Asset Management & Maintenance

Office of Finance and Administration

One Ashburton Place, 15th Floor, Boston, MA 02108

www.mass.gov/dcamm

PHONE 617-727-4050

DIRECT 781-395-2588

0 Kudos