Select to view content in your preferred language

Issues creating offline areas since the November update

11-14-2022 11:14 AM
Linde_Carmack
Regular Contributor

We have an map that we package a new offline area for every week. We actually create a new area, not use the scheduled update function. We have been using this workflow for over a year with no issues. Since the update to ArcGIS Online and Field Maps last week I have been unable to package the new offline area I need. 

I am not getting any helpful error messages, just a generic failure but it seems to be related to the size of the offline area. Anything ~4 square miles or smaller seems to work fine, while anything larger than that fails consistently. The area I need to package is well over 150 square miles, which has been working without issue until last week. 

Anyone else having similar issues or have any ideas?

16 Replies
JordanFuhrmann
Occasional Contributor

@Linde_Carmack I am having the exact same issue.

Independent maps and layers that have been working for months are now unusable for us. Small map areas generate with no issue, but large areas continuously fail. 

We have >150 staff impacted by this at present. It's quite pathetic that these issues don't get picked up during the beta stage of these updates. I hope ESRI figure this out rapidly, or we'll no longer be using their software. 

Linde_Carmack
Regular Contributor

@JordanFuhrmann well I'm glad it's not just us seeing the problem at least. Agreed on the frustration, this workflow is essential for our field employees. I'm working on submitting a ticket through the official support channels and will definitely let you know if we make any progress. 

JordanFuhrmann
Occasional Contributor

@Linde_Carmack please do.

I just tried to open a case through ESRI support, but because I'm based in Australia I was abruptly informed that I have to wait until my domestic support is open... Utterly useless when you need to use the software outside their standard 9-5, Monday - Friday.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Linde_Carmack @JordanFuhrmann I'm thus far seeing a similar thing. I've also just tried a much smaller area and I've getting 'Download failed'. This is with version 22.4.0 on an Android 12, Samsung S20 phone. All maps/services are hosted on ArcGIS Online for us but you might be different.

To help Esri troubleshoot this it would be good to know whether it's the same devices/operating systems etc. You can also gather the log file and attach it here by tapping the Profile icon at the top of the Maps page, scroll to Troubleshooting and enable Logging. Carry out the test again and then go back to the same location to View Logs. From the top of that logs view, there's the share icon (iOS) or the three dots menu, with a Share option (Android) for emailing etc.

Linde_Carmack
Regular Contributor

Hi @Anonymous User, I am using the prepackaged offline map area function in ArcGIS Online via the web map settings page rather than creating a custom offline area within the app. Should have clarified in my original post and definitely good to know it's failing when created in the app as well. I am also in ArcGIS Online only for the map and services. 

0 Kudos
JordanFuhrmann
Occasional Contributor

I'm in the same position as you @Linde_Carmack. I did also try creating a custom area using FieldMaps, however I ran into the same problem as @Anonymous User.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Is this on Android or iOS? I managed to download a custom area which was 1.17GB on iOS (iPad) but a large and small area on Android 12 both failed.

0 Kudos
Linde_Carmack
Regular Contributor

Update on my troubleshooting - it seems like the failures may be related to the size of one of the services used in the map. The map I'm having issues with uses four services, three of which are pretty small (1-2 layers, under 1000 records). The fourth is very large with over 100 layers and many thousands of records. Looking at the failed offline areas it appears that the three smaller services all package successfully and it fails when it gets to that large service. Almost like a timeout issue. 

Still no solution but would be curious if anyone else seeing these failures has very large services involved in the map(s) failing. 

sarah_maisel
Esri Contributor

Hi there, thanks for posting! I am sorry to hear you are running into some troubles with offline areas, but I agree with you and suspect we are hitting a size limitation; there is a 1GB limit on offline packages - how large is your feature service? To test if the attachments are pushing us over the limit, you can try setting the advanced options in offline to not package attachments and make a new area as well. I hope this helps!

-Sarah

ArcGIS Online Advocacy Lead

0 Kudos