Select to view content in your preferred language

How to protect the shared WebMap used in the Field Map App?

Jump to solution
12-29-2023 10:20 AM
ChristineTombleson1
Occasional Contributor

Hi - I created a field map app for shoreline monitors to use to collect data on shoreline features located at certain monitoring sites. The Field Maps App is designed using a web map with hosted feature layers, related tables, custom pop-ups, arcade programming, and smart forms. This map is shared with an ArcGIS Online Group to allow access to the map for use in the Field Maps App to only those members invited to that group. However, how do I prevent a user who has been given permission to use the map for Field Maps App from going into the ArcGIS Online Group, where the web map that contains all of the design for the Field Maps App is shared, and potentially messing with the web map (intentionally or not) that is the "brain" of my app?  How can I protect the formatting and design of my Field Map App while providing access to the web map in Field Maps to allow data input?   Thank you!!!!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

That is correct! They can use the map, but they can't make any permanent changes to its configuration.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

An item in AGOL can only be edited by three kinds of users:

1. The item's owner
  2. Organizational administrators (or users with custom roles that are equivalent)
  3. Users in a group to which the item is shared if the group has the "shared update" capability

So you will want to double-check the group. Does it have this capability? You'll see it noted clearly:

jcarlson_0-1703874840957.png

If that capability is set, then yes, your users could mess with the map. If not, then no worries! They can only interact with the map, but not change its settings.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
ChristineTombleson1
Occasional Contributor

Hi Josh - Thank you for the reply. 

My group does not appear to have Shared Update shown on yours. 

@jcarlson wrote:

An item in AGOL can only be edited by three kinds of users:

1. The item's owner
  2. Organizational administrators (or users with custom roles that are equivalent)
  3. Users in a group to which the item is shared if the group has the "shared update" capability

So you will want to double-check the group. Does it have this capability? You'll see it noted clearly:

jcarlson_0-1703874840957.png

If that capability is set, then yes, your users could mess with the map. If not, then no worries! They can only interact with the map, but not change its settings.

0 Kudos
ChristineTombleson1
Occasional Contributor

ChristineTombleson1_0-1703876160636.png

This is what my group looks like, it doesn't appear to have the Shared Update as yours does.  So this means that users can update data in the Field Maps using the map but cannot alter the map at all? If this is correct, that is exactly what I need!  Thank you!!!

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

That is correct! They can use the map, but they can't make any permanent changes to its configuration.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
ChristineTombleson1
Occasional Contributor

Thank you, you have made my day. This was stressing me out!  🙂 

0 Kudos