Select to view content in your preferred language

How to change what value is displayed for layers on initial collection screen in Field Maps

Jump to solution
08-22-2023 05:41 AM
AndrewJalbrzikowski
New Contributor

I have a map with three layers I created in ArcPro and published to ArcGIS online.  I want to change what is displayed on the initial collection screen in the app.  See below.  Where are these values stored?  I'm using Fieldmaps Designer and Maps to configure the map.  I cannot find these values in the metadata or properties.  Two seem to be from when I initially created the layers in ArcPro, but the other defaults to "New Feature".  This seems like it should be a simple fix, but I haven't been able to find it yet.   Field maps how to change what is shown in the collection screen.jpg

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
KPyne
by
Occasional Contributor

The best way that I've found is to update the Edit Template in ArcGIS Pro, prior to publishing. 

However, you can open the webmap in Web Viewer Classic > Click on Edit at the top of the table of contents > Then click Manage at the bottom of the Edit pane.

Then you can add templates, default values and change symbology.

There is a similar Template Editor in the Field Maps web portal, but I don't think it has all the features of the Web Viewer Classic template editor yet

View solution in original post

JosephGrossman
New Contributor III

Hey Andrew,

I had some issues with this before as well. It seems like it used to be easier to make the changes after the fact. Like KPyne said it is easier in Pro. You can change the symbology after the fact in the visualization settings of the hosted feature or in the webmap. You then can use the template editor in "Field Map Designer" ("Field Maps" - in Portal) to match that symbology. Make sure the field that you want to match is filled out correctly in the default values.

JosephGrossman_2-1692712434936.png

JosephGrossman_0-1692712351643.png

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
KPyne
by
Occasional Contributor

The best way that I've found is to update the Edit Template in ArcGIS Pro, prior to publishing. 

However, you can open the webmap in Web Viewer Classic > Click on Edit at the top of the table of contents > Then click Manage at the bottom of the Edit pane.

Then you can add templates, default values and change symbology.

There is a similar Template Editor in the Field Maps web portal, but I don't think it has all the features of the Web Viewer Classic template editor yet

AndrewJalbrzikowski
New Contributor

Thank you!  I haven't been using the classic viewer.  That worked perfectly and saved me the trouble of updating the edit template and republishing. 

0 Kudos
JosephGrossman
New Contributor III

Hey Andrew,

I had some issues with this before as well. It seems like it used to be easier to make the changes after the fact. Like KPyne said it is easier in Pro. You can change the symbology after the fact in the visualization settings of the hosted feature or in the webmap. You then can use the template editor in "Field Map Designer" ("Field Maps" - in Portal) to match that symbology. Make sure the field that you want to match is filled out correctly in the default values.

JosephGrossman_2-1692712434936.png

JosephGrossman_0-1692712351643.png

0 Kudos
AndrewJalbrzikowski
New Contributor

Thanks, this also worked for me.  With the classic map method detailed above, my custom symbology was replaced by a simple shape.  Also, I'm guessing classic maps will go away at some point.   Cheers to you both, thank you for taking the time to reply!

0 Kudos
AndreasHall
Esri Contributor

Hi, you should be able to save changes to the templates at the bottom of that left pane in Classic Map Viewer and then exit without saving the map. Your template edits will be saved but your custom symbology will not be overwritten. 

0 Kudos