Select to view content in your preferred language

How to avoid stacking of new features in field maps

03-07-2023 06:40 AM
KennethJohnston
Emerging Contributor
I have built several maps and forms for their use in Field Maps for various projects. Most have been creating new features and filling out the form for the new location where we sampled. However, we now have a project that has static sampling locations (USGS gage stations) and will be sampling at these exact sites repetitively. There is also past data for each static location (although slightly off my GPS location) to append which I will need to have at least 1 header named the same to append (site name etc.).

In Field Maps, I would like to select the sampling site and fill out a new form each time I sample. I also want to view a list of past data at the location. I do not want to create a new feature every time I sample at the site and create a cluster or a stack of points in this one location. This makes it challenging and messy to view past data and enter new data for a static location. I have resolved the data visualization on MapViewer by creating a cluster through augmentation.  My problem is avoiding a stack of new features as I sample throughout the seasons in one static location. 

How would I go about resolving this stacking issue? 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
David_Tipping
Occasional Contributor

Hi - there are several ways to do this. I have recently been using the related table option. There is a great set of 6 YouTube videos on how to set this up using hydrant inspection as an example workflow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0W6X6ovi_Q 

David

How do you start to build a digital inspection workflow with ArcGIS? This video has you covered! You'll learn how to build related tables to store inspection records and then publish it to ArcGIS Online. Please check out some of our other videos about this workflow: Inspection Workflows Part 2: ...
KennethJohnston
Emerging Contributor

Thanks this helps!

0 Kudos
TravisSizemore
Frequent Contributor

What David said. Related tables are exactly meant for this purpose. One feature to many records. Once you create the layer, tables, and relationship classes in Pro and publish them to ArcGIS Online, Field Maps will set this up automatically when you create the web map. 

KennethJohnston
Emerging Contributor

Thanks!

0 Kudos