How Do I Log Into Field Maps When Offline

Jump to solution
06-02-2022 06:36 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello all,

So I have a very specific use case for ArcGIS Field Maps. I can create the web maps and data I need collected/revisited within an ArcGIS Enterprise Portal on a secure network. When my field workers go to the field, they will be totally without any service. My fieldworkers should be able to access the Field Maps app while online and download the map for offline use before going out into the field. However, once there, how will they sign into the Portal to even begin using the downloaded map? Can they sign into their device and then, say after 3 days or more of travel without access to our network, will they be able to open the app on the device and still be logged in and ready to connect? If so, how long can they still be logged in for? They have to collect data for periods up to a month in some cases.

Thanks all!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Anonymous User,

> ... what if I am offline already? How do I log into the Field Maps application using my ArcGIS Enterprise Portal login so that I can access my downloaded map? 

ArcGIS Field Maps does support being disconnected for extended periods (e.g., 3 or more days). How long a user remains signed into the app while being offline will depend on how long the AGOL or enterprise portal token is valid for. This is a property set by the AGOL or enterprise portal admin.

FYI, ArcGIS Field Maps does not support signing into the app while being disconnected.

Hope this helps,

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

The short answer is several thousand words 🙂 So I will post a document link to get you started.

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/field-maps/android/help/prepare-maps-for-download.htm

Once you learn the process it is quite easy but it may take a few tries to get it right.

I would suggest testing this out on test data first

DerekLaw

Hi @Anonymous User,

Please review this blog post which discusses the topic, it also has a video: Work offline with Field Maps

Also this technical paper is a good resource, Take Your Web Maps Offline with ArcGIS Field Maps

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hey @RobertBorchert and @DerekLaw , thanks for the responses. So I read through the documentation that you both sent and have watched countless other videos and read other publications, they all sort of say the same thing: download your map and then take it offline. But specifically, what if I am offline already? How do I log into the Field Maps application using my ArcGIS Enterprise Portal login so that I can access my downloaded map?

DerekLaw

Hi @Anonymous User,

> ... what if I am offline already? How do I log into the Field Maps application using my ArcGIS Enterprise Portal login so that I can access my downloaded map? 

ArcGIS Field Maps does support being disconnected for extended periods (e.g., 3 or more days). How long a user remains signed into the app while being offline will depend on how long the AGOL or enterprise portal token is valid for. This is a property set by the AGOL or enterprise portal admin.

FYI, ArcGIS Field Maps does not support signing into the app while being disconnected.

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ok perfect. Thanks Derek!

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Talk to your GIS professional in your office on how to log into your Portal. If you are offline then you cannot load the maps.  

It is like having gas in a gas can in your garage and you run out 23.4 miles away.

0 Kudos
pjdohertygis
New Contributor III

Well, unfortunately sometimes the user is logged in, downloads offline map, then their token expires somewhere along the way without knowing it. Now they’re in the middle of nowhere and can’t access their offline maps which are already on their phones.

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

We are now getting more and more complaints that this is happening a lot more now.  Never had much issue before.

One thing that does help is go into airplane mode.  It seems like it may catch a signal sometimes, or thinks it does, and then logs out.  Being in airplane the whole time seems to help.

0 Kudos
TroyGerhardt1
New Contributor III

Have noticed that airplane mode seems to help, too. But it's often not a workable solution for our folks.

Derek, your reply makes me think there is a way to set the token expiration in AGOL. Is that something we can do? If not, can we know how log FM will stay logged in consistently so we could tell folks they have 2 weeks, or 30 days? 

0 Kudos