Select to view content in your preferred language

Field Maps streaming causing crash

06-12-2023 08:06 AM
NR-AnnaRiveraRoyGISS-T
New Contributor II

Hello,

I have been having an issue with streaming to collect polygon features in the Field Maps app on my Samsung Galaxy ActiveTab3 (Android version 13). Usually after about 20 seconds or so, Field Maps closes out (but still seems to be running), and streaming stops and nothing from it is saved. I have tried reinstalling the app, signing out and back in, and redownloading my offline areas. Has anyone experienced this and come up with some sort of solution?

0 Kudos
14 Replies
ZacharyHart
Regular Contributor

@ColinLawrence This web map contains private client data, while it is noneditable I do not have permission to share this. The other editable data is presumably the only relevant thing from the client side. 

0 Kudos
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

That is understandable that it cant be shared. Are you able to reproduce when just pulling out the editable data and if so would you be able to share that version? The other thing we can look at is the memory usage on the device. I find this under Device Care > Memory in the settings. How much is available? How much is used by Field Maps, etc. Can you try adding Field Maps to the "excluded apps" list?

Regards,
Colin
0 Kudos
KCarlson
New Contributor

Hi Colin,

I tried streaming GPS tracks again this week and had the same crashing issue. I had one set of tracks that were about 600 feet and ~10 minutes of streaming work fine, but another set that I had streaming for ~30 minutes did cause Field Maps to crash. My crew uses GPS tracks to show the areas we have covered during surveys, so our typical workflow is to turn tracks on at the beginning of the survey and then leave them running while we walk through an area. This results in GPS tracks that are a mile to several miles long and streaming for up to several hours. We have not had issues with this on older Samsung Tablets. Thank you!

0 Kudos
Eneymark
New Contributor

I have a ticket in with ESRI, but for us the crash seems to be specific to a feature layer/feature service on a specific WebMap. I’m working through additional testing to try and pinpoint what’s causing the crash.

0 Kudos
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

I have some thoughts for those on this thread still running into this issue. Its possible the OS is ending the process due to battery optimizations or memory limitations on the device which have become more aggressive with newer versions of Android. Has anyone seen this issue on a different Android 13 (or 14) device? Could those on this thread who are still encountering this issue try the following:

Open Settings > Apps > Field Maps > Battery > Select "Unrestricted" (the default is Optimized)

Also:

Open Settings > Battery and device care > Memory > Excluded apps > tap "+" and select Field Maps > Add

Can you still reproduce the problem after changing one or both of the above settings? One theory I have is that I cannot see the issue because my device is a testing device and fairly barebones in terms of what is installed. I have tried streaming sessions of 10+ miles successfully on this Tab Active 3 device. 

Regards,
Colin
0 Kudos