Field Maps freezes up on iPad intermittently

03-24-2021 09:33 AM
kmsmikrud
Occasional Contributor III

Hello,

I am writing to ask if others have experienced the map in Field Maps freezing up to the point you can't click or move. On the screen it shows a wheel spinning as if its trying to do something.

I assist others with using these apps and today as someone was preparing to fly an aerial survey the map froze up. When they powered down and reopened the app the map was again responsive. This has been also reported by four other users all using separate and brand new iPad Pros. The users have downloaded pre-defined map areas and I'm trying to have them take note when this happens what they were doing. Luckily it has been pretty sporadic, but still for aerial surveys this is troubling. If surveyors had collected data and the map/app froze up and they powered down will these lose local edits?

Thanks in advance,

Kathy

3 Replies
Robrien
New Contributor

Wondering if there was ever an update on this. I had someone experience this exact issue. The user downloaded a pre-defined map area for offline use (successfully), and then when they arrived in the field it froze and shows the wheel spinning. I'll have them try to restart the iPad and see if that fixes it. We also use a GPS that syncs with GNSS - not sure if maybe that is also contributing to the issue?

0 Kudos
kmsmikrud

Hi @Robrien,

Unfortunately I don't have an update on this, but it has happened to a few of the surveyors and the restart has worked without data loss, but not ideal especially during aerial surveys. Please post if you find the cause/more information.

Thanks,

Kathy

0 Kudos
kmsmikrud

Hi @Robrien ,

Are your users still having this issue? One of our users seems to be experiencing this often with the offline Field Maps map freezing up. Are others? They also say that when they restart field Maps then Survey123 will sign them out as well. In the map we currently have a url link to a Survey123 form so that is annoying too on that app signing them out.

Anybody else having an issue with Field Maps map freezing up?

Thanks,

Kathy

0 Kudos