Select to view content in your preferred language

Field Maps Forms "Reset"

Jump to solution
01-18-2024 06:52 AM
ZachBodenner
MVP Regular Contributor

Hello, I am having an issue with my forms in Field Maps resetting to the default after an undetermined period of time. I have looked through some other Community Discussions like this one, and while the issue is the same, I think the cause must be slightly different. 

Environment: Enterprise 11.1, Setting up forms for mobile usage in Field Maps web app, All maps in Map Viewer (not classic, as in above linked post). 

Yesterday I set up a webmap and configured the forms in Field Maps web app. I clicked Save, opened up Field Maps on my iPad to confirm the settings saved, which they did. I opened up the Field Maps webapp this morning to find that the forms had reset to default. Does anyone know of anything that would trigger this kind of behavior? This isn't the first time this has happened but as it keeps cropping up I'm more and more convinced that either I'm doing something that I don't realize that resets the form or else there's some kind of bug.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The times this has happened to me it came down to having the map open in one tab and the settings for the map open on another tab.  If I changed one then changed something on the other without a refresh it would revert.  Seemed strange that map settings would affect the map design but it did.  Could that be it?  Could anyone else be editing also?

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The times this has happened to me it came down to having the map open in one tab and the settings for the map open on another tab.  If I changed one then changed something on the other without a refresh it would revert.  Seemed strange that map settings would affect the map design but it did.  Could that be it?  Could anyone else be editing also?

ZachBodenner
MVP Regular Contributor

Definitely not the web map itself, though I definitely did have the web map open. So if you for example, add a layer to the web map while it is open, after saving Field Maps forms but while that window is also still open, you would experience this?

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you are saying to the layer vs to the map then yes.  You have to think about how AGOL works.  Everything is stored in JSON attached to a item. (Have you seen AGOL assistant?)  Item could be a map, a layer, etc.  Field Maps has two options to save forms - map or layer.  If you save to layer in one tab, then in the other tab save settings for the layer it will save the old JSON over the top of the new JSON in the other tab.  That is what got me in the map.  I was thinking that Settings for the map JSON has nothing to do with Map Viewer JSON but it does!  It kinda makes sense when you think about it that way but maybe not how I would have done it.

But for sure stop doing the two tabs technique.  Its slower and drives me nuts but it fixed all my issues.

Hope that works for you.

0 Kudos
ZachBodenner
MVP Regular Contributor

No it does actually, I have seen and used AGO Assistant plenty, including copying forms for multiple identical layers instead of setting them all up individually. I think the thing that got me is that I don't think I made any changes to the layer in question, but I did probably make some changes to the map (open in map viewer), which would then overwrite the JSON I suppose. That makes a lot of sense. I think that's likely the solution, so I'll mark it as such but I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks Doug!

BCIGIS
by
New Contributor

This looks like the classic;

1. I set my map up in the map viewer.
  2. I opened the map up in fieldmaps and created a lovely form.
  3. Someone edited the map/layer in the classic or new viewer, probably changed the pop-up and saved the map.
  4. Someone uses field maps to capture some data and now the form is gone.
  5. Go back in to fieldmaps and create the form again.

Don't edit the map from the main AGOL map viewer after creating the form. Instead, in fieldmaps, click on overview and open up the map from the menu top-right of screen.

0 Kudos