Select to view content in your preferred language

Field Maps: Edit and record GPS metadata for existing point offline

Jump to solution
05-11-2023 10:31 AM
ErikRieger
New Contributor II

I need to edit/record GPS Metadata using ArcGIS Field Maps for existing points in a Point feature layer, AND I need to be able to do this offline using a previously downloaded offline map area.

Summary:

• I added fields to the point feature class' attribute table using "Add GPS Metadata Fields" in ArcGIS Pro.
  • I shared the map to ArcGIS Online, and I enabled "offline" and "attachments" in both Field Maps and ArcGIS Online for both the map and the point layer.
  • I downloaded the offline map area to the device for use in Field Maps.
  • Using Field Maps, I am successfully able to "collect" a new point and automatically record the GPS Metadata for this new point in the form fields/attribute table when I click "Update Point" and then save it using the "check" button.
  • However, I need to be able to edit/collect GPS Metadata for an existing point in the form fields/attribute table. When I click "Update Point" for an existing point this does not happen. I can successfully edit all other fields in the form/attribute table for the existing point except for the GPS Metadata, which needs to populate automatically from the GNSS device.

Can anyone here please advise? Can this be accomplished online vs. offline?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ErikRieger
New Contributor II

I figured this out. The solution is utterly simple but unintuitive. Once you select a pre-existing point, press Edit, then click the My Location cursor (upper right), then click Update Point and the Check box. Voila: The existing point is updated to the new location, preserving the old lat/long info in the attribute table and also adding the new GPS metadata. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ErikRieger
New Contributor II

I figured this out. The solution is utterly simple but unintuitive. Once you select a pre-existing point, press Edit, then click the My Location cursor (upper right), then click Update Point and the Check box. Voila: The existing point is updated to the new location, preserving the old lat/long info in the attribute table and also adding the new GPS metadata.