Select to view content in your preferred language

Does anyone work with z-value using Field Maps?

02-05-2024 02:25 PM
KerryKang
Occasional Contributor III

Hello, 

I am looking into working with 3D data collection. I saw this from the Field Maps site and want to learn more about what it is meant by 'a default z-value'. Is it something we can set up in the Field Maps for?

• If the feature layer is z-aware, it must have a default z-value if you use the map to collect data.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

A default Z-value is something that is set when publishing the data. If publishing from Pro it can be set in the publishing window and I believe a warning is thrown if it is not set. If creating a layer directly in ArcGIS Online or Portal you can set a toggle for z-values which I believe also sets a default. Generally, this default is 0. 

If a layer is z-aware and a default is not defined, it can lead to errors with submission in Field Maps and in other clients if a z-value is not supplied by the device/GPS upon collection. I hope this helps!

Regards,
Colin
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

waiting for esri's field map team to include high-precision GPS vertical on-the-fly ortho-metric height in US Feet (the projection of the feature class) into the z-coordinate

(no post processing or arcade into a different field)