Connecting field maps to long range external GPS

02-01-2023 03:54 AM
Fredrikbacke92
New Contributor

Hello! I'm wondering if there's a way to connect an external GPS with some other protocol than bluetooth? I'll explain my goal so the question is easier to answer.

I want to connect a drone to Field Maps, so that I can see it on the map and draw lines/edit the maps using the drones position. As I understand it, most drones GPS's doesn't work externally but i'm thinking that you could get a small external GPS and attach it to the drone, which can connect to Field Maps.

I've used a precise GPS, but that connects via bluetooth which wont cover the range between GPS and iPad.

Could you potentionally use one of those small gps trackers for vehicles and somehow pair that with Field Maps?

Cheers!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AndreasHall
Esri Contributor

This is possible with ArcGIS QuickCapture and Site Scan Flight for ArcGIS - LE (free software). Read more about it using these links: 

This workflow is limited to iPad devices.

Fredrikbacke92
New Contributor

Awesome info. I've got a follow up just to see if i'm on the right track before diving deeper into this. So the basic workflow would be:

1. Integrate Site Scan Flight with ArcGIS QuickCapture - which can be connected to Mavic Air 2?

2. Create a new layer for Quick Capture and add that layer to my ArcGIS online map.

3. Enable layer in Field Maps - now I can see my drones position and use customized lines and points within my ArcGIS online map?

My inital goal was to use the layer of a imported shape file to draw the lines with the drone directly. But if the drone is connected via Quick Capture layer the lines would have to be drawn through that layer i suppose? Appreciate the help.

0 Kudos
AndreasHall
Esri Contributor

Yes, you would integrate Site Scan Flight with ArcGIS QuickCapture but then use QuickCapture to collect data (points, lines, and polygons) at your drones position. You are not able to edit existing data in QuickCapture. Field Maps would not be needed in this workflow, although you could probably use the same data that you have collected in QuickCapture in Field Maps and edit it there. 

However, it seems like Mavic Air 2 is not supported by Site Scan Flight. I found this comment about it: Site Scan Flight for ArcGIS – Matrix of Supported ... - Esri Community

0 Kudos
MagnusDamsbo_Lund
New Contributor

What about the images? Is it only the drone location you can use in QuickCapture?
or is it also possible to obtain images directly from the drone through QuickCapture?

0 Kudos
AndreasHall
Esri Contributor

I believe that is still not possible. See this post from November 2021.
Site Scan for ArcGIS Integration - Esri Community

0 Kudos