Collect Orthometric Height in Field Maps and Projected Coordinate Systems in Field Maps

06-29-2021 02:14 PM
BrandonWotachek
New Contributor III

Has anyone "cracked the code" on how to get the orthometric height attribute exported from a point feature collected in Field Maps?  I have read articles high and low on this subject but cannot figure out a successful way to get this to work.  I have seen some post and articles but the solutions are pages long.  This should be an easy out of the box solution/option. I am using an external GPS receiver and would like to record Z-values in NAVD1988(ft).  I see it records Altitude as ellipsoidal height, but I do not want that, nor can I think of why anyone recording Z-value would want that over orthometric height.  Additionally, I cannot get Field Maps to take a coordinate system other than WGS84, which I think would help me in recording orthometric height.  I can create another one in my profile within Field Maps, but in order to use the the esri "canned basemaps that you must have your project set-up to WGS84.  I have attempted to create my own simple basemap in my desired projection and bring that into Field Maps, but have had no luck, FieldMaps still says the map and profile coordinate system do not match.  Basemaps in ArcMap can be projected on the fly, why not in Field Maps?  For a new field collection app, Field Maps seems like it is not ready for "Prime Time".   I have other issues I could list, but I have found work arounds for those.   I would really like to use esri for a field collection app,  but may need to go to another companies app.  From a user who has been using Trimble TerraSync, Field Maps does not have near the functionality of TerraSync.  Granted TerraSync is now a software dinosaur, but has great functions and options for collection.

17 Replies
JMGhosh
New Contributor II

To date  I have not had this happen yet. But if I do see that behavior. I'll reply back to this thread. 🙂

0 Kudos
federicovarini
New Contributor

Hi @ColinLawrence 

Has this functionality been added to Field Maps? 

We have the same problem as Danielle at my company. we wanted to know if there is any news

Darius_MGISS
New Contributor II

MGISS have developed a Field Maps plugin to perform these calculations on the fly (for the UK). Until esri develop this functionality plugins like this are your best bet.

ArcGIS Marketplace - Z-Transform 

0 Kudos
David_Brooks
MVP Regular Contributor

As @ColinLawrence  said above, but can you get your Trimble software to pre process before sending to field maps? I use Trimble Catalyst with Trimble mobile manager, which Ive preloaded with the OSGM15 geoid for United Kingdom, so the gnss z is projected to geoid before hitting field maps, and then the projection from ETRF to OSGB for X and Y is performed in field maps. 

Can you do the same with your Trimble device?

David
..Maps with no limits..
Darius_MGISS
New Contributor II

Hi David, check out Z-Transform for OSGM15 transformations in the UK. Runs as a live service processing results directly into your Field Maps feature services  - https://mgiss.co.uk/z-transform/

0 Kudos
Kyle_LocGov
New Contributor III

Hey Brandon,

Have you looked into Frontier Precision's online resources? 

https://frontierprecision.com/mean-sea-level-with-trimble-receivers-and-collector-for-arcgis/

0 Kudos
JenniferStarbuck1
New Contributor III

I cannot get Field Maps to take a coordinate system other than WGS84" I have all ways see this as an issue from the OG Collector app and still in Field Map app. I just got done doing a GPS Accuracy test using R2 with RTX, R1 with SBAS connected to iPhone8+ and Trimble TDC600. I took the steps to save my data projection in NAD832011, set trimble mobile map (TMM) to get the NAD83 output, configured Field Map (FM) with the location profile datum transformation NAD83 to WGS84. All points collected showed a 1.5ft shift when comparing GPS collected point against photo identifiable targets and survey control points. I performed a second round of GPS collection with TMM outputting WGS84 and FM location profile set to default. This setting gave me the results I was looking for. I do not believe any of Esri field mapping applications can WGS84.

0 Kudos
mykola
by
New Contributor III

Hi Brandon,

I just found your question that relates to the problem that I am facing with Field Maps (and earlier Collector) in Iceland. We use local CS and every survey point has a slightly different ortho height when measured in Field Maps. I use Emlid RS2 receiver and the native app ReachViewæ from Emlid gives me the correct height when compared to the data from a local National Survey. However, the esri apps sometimes show up to +/- 30cm difference. Our vertical datum was recently updated based on the new geoid but unfortunately I cannot even choose vertical datum in the field maps. Have you already come up with the solution? Cheers.

0 Kudos