Cannot update location of existing points with GPS

Jump to solution
04-19-2022 08:46 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

We've been using Collector paired with a Trimble R2 for field collection, but after a recent server upgrade to 10.9.1, we want to transition to Field Maps. I'm running into an issue in Field Maps where I cannot update the location of existing points with GPS. I can create a new point with an averaged GPS position, but when I try to edit an existing point, the app doesn't give me the option of using GPS to update the feature's location. I can update other attributes, or drag the crosshairs around to update the point location, just no GPS. Has anyone else encountered this? Any info would be appreciated. 

The maps are created in our Enterprise portal using map services published from ArcMap Desktop 10.6.1. They have a custom basemap, NAD83 SC State Plane.

Our setup:

- iOS on 7th gen iPad

- Field Maps version 22.1.0

- ArcGIS Server 10.9.1 (unfederated)

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I figured it out! Turns out it's just a slightly different workflow than I had used in Collector. Documenting here in case anyone else gets stuck on it.

In both apps, once you highlight a point and select 'edit,' you get to the edit screen, which includes the blue 'Update Point' button. Here's the difference: in Collector, tapping on 'Update Point' gives you a dropdown menu option to either 'use target location' or 'start averaging'. In Field Maps, on the other hand, if you tap on 'Update Point' it does not bring up both location options, and will just automatically use the target location of the crosshairs (use target location). In order to use GPS Averaging to update the point location in Field Maps, first tap on the GPS button (location arrow in top right corner of map); the map then centers on your current location and the 'Update Point' text changes to 'Start Averaging.'

I guess this process also works in Collector, I just hadn't been doing it that way. Prior to finding the bug documentation online, I hadn't realized that little location arrow was even useful on the edit screen, I thought it was just used for switching between north up/head up on the main map screen.

Here is related documentation to this issue that I found in Esri's bug database:

BUG-000143324Synopsis

Unable to use GPS Averaging to edit the location of an existing point in ArcGIS Field Maps 21.3.0 for iOS.

Additional Information

This is an expected behavior in the current release. When editing an existing point feature with Averaging enabled, tap the GPS tool in the map display to enable auto-pan mode in order to center on the current GPS location. The button text changes from Update Point to Start Averaging. Refer to https://doc.arcgis.com/en/field-maps/android/help/capture.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_014348B90AA9453AB2223B7D... for additional information related to editing existing features and centering on the current location.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I figured it out! Turns out it's just a slightly different workflow than I had used in Collector. Documenting here in case anyone else gets stuck on it.

In both apps, once you highlight a point and select 'edit,' you get to the edit screen, which includes the blue 'Update Point' button. Here's the difference: in Collector, tapping on 'Update Point' gives you a dropdown menu option to either 'use target location' or 'start averaging'. In Field Maps, on the other hand, if you tap on 'Update Point' it does not bring up both location options, and will just automatically use the target location of the crosshairs (use target location). In order to use GPS Averaging to update the point location in Field Maps, first tap on the GPS button (location arrow in top right corner of map); the map then centers on your current location and the 'Update Point' text changes to 'Start Averaging.'

I guess this process also works in Collector, I just hadn't been doing it that way. Prior to finding the bug documentation online, I hadn't realized that little location arrow was even useful on the edit screen, I thought it was just used for switching between north up/head up on the main map screen.

Here is related documentation to this issue that I found in Esri's bug database:

BUG-000143324Synopsis

Unable to use GPS Averaging to edit the location of an existing point in ArcGIS Field Maps 21.3.0 for iOS.

Additional Information

This is an expected behavior in the current release. When editing an existing point feature with Averaging enabled, tap the GPS tool in the map display to enable auto-pan mode in order to center on the current GPS location. The button text changes from Update Point to Start Averaging. Refer to https://doc.arcgis.com/en/field-maps/android/help/capture.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_014348B90AA9453AB2223B7D... for additional information related to editing existing features and centering on the current location.