ATTRIBUTE RULES IN FIELD MAPS

Jump to solution
08-17-2021 02:43 PM
OliverSandoval_p
New Contributor III

Hello, since we need to use some automatic calculations with our field inspections and since field maps smart forms does not have calculations yet,

Will a Field Maps smart form honor attribute rules created for the sql geodatabase?

Slightly unrelated; is there any way to show a photo as a hint for a choice in form? I guess similar to how you can in survey 123.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OliverSandoval_p
New Contributor III

Field maps does honor attribute rules in the smart form on a registered feature layer.

Confirmed through testing, in online workflow.

Pretty Awesome!

Note: Custom error messages written in the attribute rules will not show in Field Maps when rules are triggered by an Insert, or in Field maps 'submit'. Message when constraints are not met is 'Error, cannot submit feature', as of now doesn't look customizable. With training for field staff and hints in the smart form, I think it should be fine. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ClayDonaldsonSWCA
Occasional Contributor II

hi there - the attribute rules in an enterprise sql database will be triggered on insert/update. So the attribute rules will not trigger until they sync/submit their data. 

I don't believe there are photo hints in field maps at the moment.

OliverSandoval_p
New Contributor III

Hi Clay,

Thank you for the info! I forgot to mention that I was referring to immediate calculation rules not batch. I see here Evaluate attribute rules—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation and here Calculation attribute rules—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation that it is possible, but I cant find to see if this works with field maps.

0 Kudos
ClayDonaldsonSWCA
Occasional Contributor II

Immediate calculation rules is what I was referring to. Here is how one of my field maps workflows:

The immediate calculation rule I have calculates ownership on insert/edit.

1. Field Crew Collects Points offline with a registered feature service with calculation rule.
  2. Once the Crew hits "sync" the immediate calculation rule is triggered. Ownership is calculated.

This does mean that you can't currently evaluate rules when offline. I think ESRI is planning on adding that functionality eventually though.

0 Kudos
OliverSandoval_p
New Contributor III

Field maps does honor attribute rules in the smart form on a registered feature layer.

Confirmed through testing, in online workflow.

Pretty Awesome!

Note: Custom error messages written in the attribute rules will not show in Field Maps when rules are triggered by an Insert, or in Field maps 'submit'. Message when constraints are not met is 'Error, cannot submit feature', as of now doesn't look customizable. With training for field staff and hints in the smart form, I think it should be fine. 

0 Kudos
MikePordes1
New Contributor III

Oliver - have you tried it with Sync? the question would be around the attribute rules with a sync/disconnected map.

0 Kudos
OliverSandoval_p
New Contributor III

Hey Mike,

I haven't tried it, but in this thread Clay describes how his attribute rule workflow works with an offline map and Sync! 

Best,

Oliver

0 Kudos
MikePordes1
New Contributor III

I see that, Clay made it sound like the attribute rules didnt run on device, which i totally understand - the on device PostGRES SQL geodatabase doesnt yet contain the full enterprise geodatabase functionality so it would not show offline, however i am asking if anyone has seen any issues or success when the sync is run from an offline map.

0 Kudos