Support 360 photos in Field Maps/AGOL

03-03-2021 05:31 PM
MichaelDavis3
Occasional Contributor III

This has been posted elsewhere in the ideas forums for AGOL and ArcGIS, but it would be super swell if Field Maps could support viewing 360 photo spheres captured by cameras like the Insta360 One X and similar cameras.  These are equirectangular projection photos that look a bit like this:

e362f40c-a16f-4389-a6fc-083869c80bd0.jpg

But in a proper viewer display normally and can be panned around by the user:

MichaelDavis3_1-1614821317451.png

These types of photos are incredibly useful for documenting facilities.  Facebook has a pretty helpful guide to identifying these types of photos using the EXIF tags captured by the cameras: https://facebook360.fb.com/editing-360-photos-injecting-metadata/

We have successfully implemented support for these cameras in our own Runtime SDK-based apps and it would be super great if Field Maps could support them as well. 

7 Comments
LindsayRaabe_FPCWA

I don't have a specific use case for this, but I can imagine a few that would be handy. In a forestry setting, forest inventory or post fire assessments with 360 images could be a handy tool. 

Henry_PeleshBW

I agree, we could also make use of 360 image support through AGOL applications. I am glad to see others are also interested in this idea.

Henry

AndrewBowne

Great Idea.  We have THOUSANDS of 360 photos that we would like to be able to natively view in Esri apps.  Right now we are using a viewer written in-house with 3rd party api's. 

cbp-geus

Our field geologist are more and more considering this option when doing a location description and want to be able to do a 360 photo for documentation.

PeterORegan

The OIC widgets released last year are a step in the right direction, but I find them too complicated to setup and the viewer widget's size is limited and clunky to use.

A simple 360 Viewer that pops up in the popup and can be explored would be ideal.

ClarkSelby

This is not Field Maps, but there are two new ways to effortlessly leverage 360 imagery and video in ArcGIS Online and Enterprise.

1. GeoTube for ArcGIS. This tool seamlessly integrates a YouTube video player directly within ArcGIS Experience Builder.  GeoTube allows users to watch YouTube videos (2D or 360) within the web map while simultaneously displaying the associated location, visualizing the video path, and observing the playback location as features on the map. This enhanced user interface provides a comprehensive and intuitive understanding of the spatial relationship between videos and their corresponding geographic locations. You can learn more about GeoTube here: https://www.nodeology.net/geotube/Visualize in YouTube. Analyze in ArcGIS.Visualize in YouTube. Analyze in ArcGIS.
  2. SiteViewer 360 for ArcGIS: By capturing your site with a 360 camera, you can immerse yourself in panoramic views, enabling detailed analysis and exploration from every angle. ArcGIS Online 360 demos are available, featuring imagery of Hurricane Ian, Pittsburgh Steps, and Rails-to-Trails, at the bottom of this page:  https://www.nodeology.net/site-viewer-360-for-arcgis/.   Hurricane IanHurricane Ian
JillFischer1

This is important for inspections too, especially manhole inspections where 360 cameras provide so much more information than a regular camera.