Add Option for Map Orientation to Change with Direction of GPS Travel

01-25-2023 12:27 PM
AdrianaDelucchi
New Contributor III

I collect data in a moving vehicle (QuickCapture does not work for my application since I need to collect 6 attributes per point), It would be wonderful if there we an option for the map to automatically change orientation with the direction that the GPS is traveling similar to the option in Apple Maps and Google Maps. When I am traveling south and collected data, data collectors sometime get confused because their left is really on their right on the FieldMaps app.

1 Comment
BenjaminBalet

This is an issue not just when tracking from a vehicle but also when one is collecting data in the middle of the forest and needs to learn which direction to head. Field maps allows for map orientation based on phone orientation, but the issue arises when this function is lost once data collection begins. We recently transitioned from Avenza where this was a usable function while tracking and it was accurate enough to replace the compass in some situations. For example when flagging a property line and looking for boundary evidence, its easy to get turned around and lose your sense of cardinal direction. Having the ability to know which way your phone is pointing in the field is an asset for navigation. Its a major issue that field maps does not have this capability while tracking.

I recommend that "/phone orientation" be added to the end of this idea title.