No Basemaps in Build 2500

02-12-2013 12:42 PM
EricPollard1
New Contributor III
The new build, 2500, seems to not want to show any basemaps in the basemap gallery. I am aware of the previous bug and thread, and have tried deleting the cache both manually and through the "Explorer Options" menu, but still cannot get the basemaps to show. I uninstalled and reinstalled the new build as well. I did have AGX build 1750 prior to this, but made sure to uninstall everything. I even went into the basemaps folder in the default install location, and was able to open individual .nmf maps containing the different basemaps (except for Bing - I guess these are now "purchase" only basemaps). In addition, the new "Layers" button only shows a blank palette when clicked, with "Loading" being shown, but seems to never load. Not even sure what is supposed to appear with this layers button.  Any advice?   Thanks -Eric
0 Kudos
33 Replies
CeliaBraves
New Contributor
The reason why the basemaps wouldn't load for me had to do with my version of Windows. I have an older laptop (2008) with only 2GB of RAM with Windows 7 64-bit installed. Apparently, ArcGIS Explorer was taking up too much memory on my 2GB system (or something like that... can't remember what the computer guy said exactly) so the solution was to install Windows 7 32-bit instead and that fixed the issue, as ArcGIS Explorer is a 32-bit program. Needless to say, it is a huge pain to re-install a different version of Windows, but now I can see the basemaps.

Macs are looking better and better every day!

Celia
0 Kudos
EricPollard1
New Contributor III
After talking to ESRI tech support, it seems as though there was an update to the ArcGIS Online service this past Thursday (3/21), leading to some type of universal error in which the ArcGIS Explorer Desktop 2500 builds all showed no basemaps (including the folks at ESRI). Haven't heard of a solution/fix yet though ...
0 Kudos
SusannaJackson
New Contributor
I contacted ESRI support today 3/25 and she gave me these steps to add basemaps to my AGX build 2500 for what appeared to be an empty basemap gallery. But no resolution beyond this one-by-one type of workthrough.

1) Navigate to Base Map dropdown.
2) Click on Manage My Base maps.
3) Browse to C:\Program Files (x86)\Explorer\basemaps\Server and select the base map that you want to add.
4) Click on add Base map button which will show you the thumbnails of the map.
5) Click on close and then you can add the base maps from My Base map options.
6) You will find the base maps added by you in Base Map dropdown.
7) If you want to rename the maps then navigate to the same server folder through the windows explorer and then rename it.
0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor
As of March 21st  the update to ArcGIS online did make a change that ArcGIS Explorer was not programmed to cope with.

When you are signed into ArcGIS online or an ArcGIS online organization  ArcGIS Explorer Desktop will correctly use the defaultmap, basemaps and layer gallery items specified by the organization or from the "ArcGIS Explorer Desktop basemap and layers group". 

When you are not signed in to ArcGIS online (which is the default), the online system (api) directs ArcGIS Explorer to a group, that does not contain ArcGIS Explorer content.  This is a change from the previous version of ArcGIS online where the basemap group was only provided by ArcGIS online if you were signed in.   I am currently working with the team to remedy this issue as soon as possible.

So another immediate work-around for this issue, is to get an ArcGIS online account,(https://www.arcgis.com/home/signin.html?) and from the ArcGIS Explorer file menu, sign in.

Mark
0 Kudos
SusannaJackson
New Contributor
Mark,
I'm not sure we're on the same page. I do have an ArcGIS Online account (the personal/free/whatever it is called now) and am signed in via ArcGIS Explorer online. I do not see a basemap gallery, unless I add them in manually from the install directory.

I do not have a fee-based ArcGIS Online for Organizations account. Are you stating that I need the fee-based $2500 minimum AGO for Org account in order for your recommendation to work in AGX?

*edit - I also don't see the ArcGIS Online option under the Add Content dropdown - even when signed in to AGO. Another difference from Build 1750.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor
Susanna,

Sorry about the confusion.  You are correct.  With my personal account it works, because I had been testing regions in my ArcGIS.com (ArcGIS online) profile, and I had set my region to France.  I need to confirm with the online team but I suspect when language is set to English and region is set to France (likely other regions) the ArcGIS online platform does not return a "basemap group" when ArcGIS Explorer "asks" for it...  Or so far there is only a basemap group defined for region "United States" in the ArcGIS online platform. 

With your personal account profile, If you set region to France, and then sign in through ArcGIS Explorer, see if that works.   This is just a workaround idea for now, the ArcGIS Explorer team and Online team need to get coordinated in regards to the basemap group provided by the ArcGIS platform when using a personal account or not signed in.

In regards to adding from ArcGIS online we added  "Search ArcGIS online"  button on the home tab which replaces the add from ArcGIS online functionality in version 2500.

-Mark
0 Kudos
EricPollard1
New Contributor III
I have my region set to US and language to English, and I sign in to AGX using my personal/free/whatever account, but no basemaps in the gallery.... Was I misinterpreting your last post? Do we need a subscription ? Thanks.
0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor
I probably did not write a clear enough post.

Set your region to France in your ArcGIS.com profile as a work around to this problem and sign in with the same free arcgis online account in ArcGIS Explorer.

If you have an organizational subscription ArcGIS Explorer will work correctly in regards to basemaps and default map.

When your region is set to United States or you are not signed in to ArcGIS online, the ArcGIS Explorer basemaps will not display in the gallery and the defaultmap (if you do not have your own saved) will not display.  

I am working with the ArcGIS online team to address this issue, but it is taking longer than expected to resolve.

Thanks for your patience,
Mark
0 Kudos
EricPollard1
New Contributor III
Ok, great workaround for me, thanks Mark. Don't think this is feasible for our ~50 users, as most don't have ID's/won't take time to create IDs/change region/login, etc. so we will still be anxiously waiting for that fix !
Thanks
Eric
0 Kudos
TonyFleming
New Contributor
Come on ESRI!  Get on the stick!  This is crazy.  Every time I think, "ArcGIS Explorer will be a fine platform for my 30 person user community" (at the giant company which has been an ESRI client for 20 years) something like this transpires.  I'll never learn.  This is ridiculous.  COMMUNICATE.
0 Kudos