ArcGIS Explorer Desktop Build 2500 constant crashing in Windows 7 Professional 64 bit

07-24-2013 11:52 AM
AlexHasen
New Contributor
Howdy y'all,

I'm the unofficial IT monkey here at our office and it has been decided that we need to include geologic maps with all of our reports from now on. So of course, today I was thrown the CD's of GAT data and told to figure it out. My first step was to install Explorer Desktop (which only seems to want to install in 32 bit for some reason) and try to load the layers from the CD onto my machine. After two hours of waiting to transfer the data over, I finally booted up Explorer and was instantly hit with many things.

First: It changed the theme to Windows 7 Basic

Second: It decided to hide literally everything on the screen under the basemap even though it was opening in windowed mode

Third: It took about three minutes to get the annoying basemap to go away and only appear in the window

Fourth: When I finally got into the program, I went to add content and selected one of the layers. Lo and behold, the progress bar appears...and immediately crashes the program. Reverting everything back to normal Windows 7.

It has done this every single time I have opened the program, and is getting to the point of frustration for me. I am well versed in technology and Windows 7 and I still can't get it to work, which means my users (who are all civil engineers) will never in a million years manage to make it work.

Now then, this build (2500) has been out for some time as far as I can tell, and I'm hoping that someone has found a fix to the issue out there. If anybody could tell me what i'm doing wrong, or what is causing the issue and how to resolve it, I would be very much obliged. Also, if anyone could tell me how to get the damn thing to install in the 64 bit version, that would be nice as well.

Thanks,

Alex
0 Kudos
17 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Good tip Amy but didn't work for me on my laptop. I tried changing the settings for E3.exe to both the integrated Intel graphics and the NVIDIA ehanced graphics, still doesn't run or start. Although I did install 1750 and it starts up just fine.
0 Kudos
jameshickey
Occasional Contributor
I am running 64bit windows 7 pro sp1, i7 2640M processor, nvidia quadro 3000m graphics card 8GB ram. ArcGIS Explorer Desktop software does not run on this setup either. I have tried version 1750 and version 2500. I have run all updates and have just reinstalled my graphics drivers to the newest version.
when i start version 2500 the software crashes with with a "would you like windows to check for solutions" window and when I close that window it just opens it back up again. after about 20 times the arcgis explorer desktop will show up in Task Manager and i can kill it from there.

version 1750 will open but it will not load any base maps... just sits there and streams nothing and the freezes.

Any ideas on why this is happening?
I have disabled the firewall, i have changed the config file to have the DisableAeroDWM="false" but none of this seems to help.
0 Kudos
GeorgeDurkee
Occasional Contributor
I suddenly started having the exact problem (or close) of dogdaymoon. I've had 2500 installed and working fine for a year but hadn't used it in maybe a month or so. Now, when I open it, it crashes at the splash screen. When I click on the "Close Program" option, it just loops and I have to shut it down from Task Manager. I'm running w7 x64. I suspect it's some sort of recent windows update conflict because, as I said, the problem is recent and I haven't installed anything else. Here's the error details:

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
  Application Name: ArcGISConnectionBin.exe
  Application Version: 10.1.2.3252
  Application Timestamp: 511165ea
  Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
  Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.18247
  Fault Module Timestamp: 521ea8e7
  Exception Code: c000071f
  Exception Offset: 0009a449
  OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
  Locale ID: 1033
  Additional Information 1: a7aa
  Additional Information 2: a7aa91f17ea749d42a4de3b390fa5b3d
  Additional Information 3: a7aa
  Additional Information 4: a7aa91f17ea749d42a4de3b390fa5b3d

Read our privacy statement online:
  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
  C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

I'd appreciate help here since I'm soon teaching a class soon where we'll use AGX.

thanks,

George

UPDATE ONLY MOMENTS LATER: This solved the problem (suggested fix #1):
http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/85567-ArcGIS-Connection-has-stopped-working
0 Kudos
BradSegrest
New Contributor III
Did ESRI ever come up with a resolution for this? I am trying to fill a data request to an individual that only has access to explorer. I sent him a layer packet. He was having trouble opening it with explorer so I installed it on my end to trouble shoot. I have pretty much the same problem as everyone else on this thread.

Aero is dissabled on load
Basemap covers the vector layers
Connection to ArcGIS online crashes (pop up repeats until explorer is shut down)
Hangs and Crashes on Zoom in

Any suggestions?

I use ArcGIS on a daily basis, I author services, I admin servers... why is this causing so much trouble?
0 Kudos
AdamGuo
New Contributor II
the easiest way to get rid of the "ArcGISConnectionBin.exe" error is to go into the folder where ArcGIS Explorer is installed and rename the "ArcGISConnectionBin.exe" file (for me it's in C:\Program Files (x86)\Explorer (x86)\bin).

This will stop ArcGISConnectionBin.exe to load when opening Explorer. This will not affect anything with Explorer.

The error is caused from having IE10 on the system.
0 Kudos
JaxonHiggs
New Contributor
the easiest way to get rid of the "ArcGISConnectionBin.exe" error is to go into the folder where ArcGIS Explorer is installed and rename the "ArcGISConnectionBin.exe" file (for me it's in C:\Program Files (x86)\Explorer (x86)\bin).

This will stop ArcGISConnectionBin.exe to load when opening Explorer. This will not affect anything with Explorer.

Thank you!! Worked perfectly for me.
0 Kudos
jameshickey
Occasional Contributor

this worked for me as well. this time it was on another system that was having the same issues.
This one has dual intel xeon 2.4's on a superMicro with NVidia 1800 Grphics. win 7 64bit sp1
one small difference is that this machine is ie 11 not 10. but the solution worked.

Thank you!
dogdaynoon.
0 Kudos
joelkadeenjoelkadeen
New Contributor

If your system files are unauthorized modified then Windows 7 crashes can occur. Start scanning your system files and replace them with their original versions.

Data Recovery Scams

0 Kudos