Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Explorer 2500 discussion

06-27-2012 05:19 PM
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor
Questions and comments in regards to ArcGIS Explorer 2012 beta and the ArcGIS Explorer 2500 release.

thanks,
ArcGIS Explorer Team
0 Kudos
158 Replies
ScottCampbell
Esri Contributor
Hi there,

I don't seem to be able to add Locator Packages to AGX from AGO. Whenever I search for type:locator and then click on the results (either for my own or the US Postal one) I get the following error:

Failed to add file(s):
-c:\users\sxc\AppData\Local\Temp\E3\_esri_search_temp6932\isxbnqx0.pkinfo (Invalid File).

Also is there any way to add the locator directly (without having to first upload to AGO).

Cheers,

Scott.
0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor
I noticed that in the Beta install directory there are now arcpy and Python directories.  What are those used for?

They are used for ArcGIS Layers (layer files .lyr and Layer Packages .lpk) that make use of python scripting in the layer properties.  ex. label expressions, 3D extrusion, etc...

Mark
0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor
Should the 1750 Data Access Extension work with the beta?

The 1750 data expansion pack will not work with ArcGIS Explorer 2012 beta.

Mark
0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi there,

I don't seem to be able to add Locator Packages to AGX from AGO. Whenever I search for type:locator and then click on the results (either for my own or the US Postal one) I get the following error:

Failed to add file(s):
-c:\users\sxc\AppData\Local\Temp\E3\_esri_search_temp6932\isxbnqx0.pkinfo (Invalid File).

Also is there any way to add the locator directly (without having to first upload to AGO).

Cheers,

Scott.

ArcGIS Explorer beta is not doing the filehandling correctly for .gcpk files form ArcGIS online.  From the Website you can download the .gcpk file to your local disk and add it through the ArcGIS Explorer options.

File Menu
ArcGIS Explorer options button
Resources
Manage Locators - Locators button
and add Locator.

-mark
0 Kudos
ScottCampbell
Esri Contributor
ArcGIS Explorer beta is not doing the filehandling correctly for .gcpk files form ArcGIS online.  From the Website you can download the .gcpk file to your local disk and add it through the ArcGIS Explorer options.

File Menu
ArcGIS Explorer options button
Resources
Manage Locators - Locators button
and add Locator.

-mark

Thanks Mark - that works fine and now allows me to add the Locator. I does however give me some unusual results:
- when it finds a location it adds the pin in the correct place but flies somewhere else (nb our 2d projection and that of the locator are not web Mercator)
- it does not find anything unless I provide all of the fields (unlike desktop)

Scott.
0 Kudos
JaromHlebasko
Occasional Contributor III
I recently installed the Beta 2012 version and for some reason cannot access my groups and my maps from ArcGIS online. Was this feature taken out? In the 1750 version, there was an option under the ArcGIS Explorer button where you could click on ArcGIS online and view that information.

Thank you!
0 Kudos
CraigBeech
New Contributor II
Are there any plan to support ArcGIS explorer on mac o/s?

regards,
Stefan
0 Kudos
SachieNAKAYAMA
New Contributor
Hello

We are currently testing ArcGIS Explorer Desktop Beta Build 2035 and just want to let you know that geosearch capability isn't working. We have no problem using a new service, http://geocode.arcgis.com and geosearch in ArcGIS Desktop 10 but it does not seem to be working in the current version of ArcGIS Explorer Desktop Beta.  Are you planning to fix it by next upcoming release?

Thanks,

Sach
0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor
I recently installed the Beta 2012 version and for some reason cannot access my groups and my maps from ArcGIS online. Was this feature taken out? In the 1750 version, there was an option under the ArcGIS Explorer button where you could click on ArcGIS online and view that information.

Thank you!

Add from ArcGIS online is replaced by the search window.
0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor
Are there any plan to support ArcGIS explorer on mac o/s?

regards,
Stefan

ArcGIS Explorer 2012 is only supported on windows, but in the future there will be versions of ArcGIS Explorer and ArcGIS Explorer like applications that run on the Apple platform.
0 Kudos