ArcGIS Explorer 2500 discussion

06-27-2012 05:19 PM
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor
Questions and comments in regards to ArcGIS Explorer 2012 beta and the ArcGIS Explorer 2500 release.

thanks,
ArcGIS Explorer Team
0 Kudos
158 Replies
EricPollard1
New Contributor III
I have to agree with the comments here, we need more info about the release of AGX 2012 (2013 now). I have dozens of people relying on this software to view services created using our VERY expensive tools from ESRI. ANY type of information regarding the release would be very helpful.
0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor
Any idea when Explorer 2012 will be released?
0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor
The ArcGIS Explorer team is very close to completing ArcGIS Explorer 2500 (formerly named 2012) we have one remaining issue that we are working to resolve today.  If the problem is fixed today, ArcGIS Explorer 2500 will be available for download next week.   I will update this thread with the precise status when it is known.

As Joe Flannery points out, this release has been a long time coming, the team prefers to release on a 4 to 6 month cycle.  For this release we leveraged new capabilities in the Esri enterprise system, and the coordination with on-going work in that system (ArcGIS Desktop, ArcGIS Server, ArcGIS online) took some extra time to synchronize.

Thanks for your patience; the next release of ArcGIS Explorer will be the best one yet.
Mark
0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor
The ArcGIS Explorer team is very close to completing ArcGIS Explorer 2500 (formerly named 2012) we have one remaining issue that we are working to resolve today.  If the problem is fixed today, ArcGIS Explorer 2500 will be available for download next week.   I will update this thread with the precise status when it is known.

The ArcGIS Explorer Desktop 2500 release will be available in January 2013.

Mark
0 Kudos
EricStetser
New Contributor II
I don�??t know if this is a 2012 beta issue or a general ArcGIS Explorer Desktop paradigm that I haven�??t figured out yet.

I am developing a Common Operating Picture capability for a customer�??s emergency preparedness group.  They want to have a wall display running a loop of continuously updated status information about their various campuses and buildings around the country.  The presentation function is working very well for navigating place to place and changing which layers are displayed.

I am updating building and campus status in feature classes that are in a file geodatabase using ArcMap 10.1 and some geoprocessing models.  I have set up simple point symbols for the layer in ArcMap where a green circle is �??Good�?�, a yellow square is �??Moderate�?� and red triangle is �??Severe�?�.  I have then saved a layer file from this ArcMap layer.  During an emergency event, the underlying file geodatabase will be updated to change the status which will then automatically update the symbology shown on the presentation map slides.

I have ArcGIS 2012 beta deployed on 3 machines in the customer site.  One machine also has ArcMap 10.1 (ArcGIS Advanced (Arcinfo)).  The other 2 machines only have ArcGIS Explorer beta 2012.

On the machines that only have ArcGIS Explorer 2012 beta, my point symbols are not showing up properly.  The triangle and square end up being the # sign with color coding and the circle ends up being the ( sign with red color coding.  This does not occur on the machine that has Arcinfo.

So�?�I am guessing that some Esri fonts that get installed with Arcinfo aren�??t included as part of the ArcGIS Explorer Desktop installation process.
I have looked at the ArcGIS_Explorer Style Reference point symbols and am not sure that they will meet my needs.

Guidance would be greatly appreciated.
0 Kudos
JoeFlannery
Occasional Contributor III
I'm not sure if this will work with beta 2012, but you could try installing the Build 1750 Font Expansion Pack located at this site:
http://resources.arcgis.com/content/arcgis-explorer/1750/download
0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

On the machines that only have ArcGIS Explorer 2012 beta, my point symbols are not showing up properly.  The triangle and square end up being the # sign with color coding and the circle ends up being the ( sign with red color coding.  This does not occur on the machine that has Arcinfo.

It is the Fonts.  When the Final Release of ArcGIS Explorer desktop 2500 is available there will be a fonts expansion pack that you can install to get the fonts.

For 2012  you could....
Uninstall 2012
Install 1750
Install the Fonts Expansion Pack for 1750
Uninstall 1750
Install 2012.

The Fonts are just installed in the Windows\Fonts folder on the machine.  You could also copy all of the ESRI fonts in this folder from your working machine to the fonts folder on the machines that are not working, as a workaround for beta 2012.

Mark
0 Kudos
EricStetser
New Contributor II
It is the Fonts.  When the Final Release of ArcGIS Explorer desktop 2500 is available there will be a fonts expansion pack that you can install to get the fonts.

For 2012  you could....
Uninstall 2012
Install 1750
Install the Fonts Expansion Pack for 1750
Uninstall 1750
Install 2012.

The Fonts are just installed in the Windows\Fonts folder on the machine.  You could also copy all of the ESRI fonts in this folder from your working machine to the fonts folder on the machines that are not working, as a workaround for beta 2012.

Mark

I have pulled the esri*.ttf fonts from a machine that had ArcInfo to put them on the machine that didn't, putting them into the windows fonts directory.  This has provided a work around for us.  Thank you.

We would like to be able to use the USB flash drive approach for quickly allowing users to run directly from memory stick.  At final release, will we be able to have the ESRI fonts withing the explorer (x86) directory structure on the USB flash drive?

Eric
0 Kudos
JohnNowlin
Occasional Contributor II
At the UC (26 Jul 2012) Mark and Bern said AGX 2012 would likely be released in August 2012 (http://video.esri.com/watch/1862/arcgis-explorer-desktop). Now Mark has said that it will be out this month (Jan '13).

The ArcGIS Explorer Desktop 2500 release will be available in January 2013.

Mark

It feels like we are given a time that this will be released and when that doesn't get met we are given another future date, and this is frustrating.

I mean seriously, there are only 16 days left in January 2013. . . only 12 of them are working days.

Is AGX build 2500 (previously 2012) totally broken, that it needs this much time to fix?

I use this widely in my organization and I have been waiting for some time to update my training materials for my users because i don't want to update them until this has been released.
0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor
At the UC (26 Jul 2012) Mark and Bern said AGX 2012 would likely be released in August 2012 (http://video.esri.com/watch/1862/arcgis-explorer-desktop). Now Mark has said that it will be out this month (Jan '13).

It feels like we are given a time that this will be released and when that doesn't get met we are given another future date, and this is frustrating.

I mean seriously, there are only 16 days left in January 2013. . . only 12 of them are working days.

Is AGX build 2500 (previously 2012) totally broken, that it needs this much time to fix?

Right now, at this moment we are still on track for release this month.
-mark
0 Kudos