Snapping when Selecting Asset in Map Widget While Using Survey Widget

Jump to solution
10-09-2023 08:18 AM
JasminePrater
Occasional Contributor II

We are currently using Experience Builder for a couple apps I built that use the Map widget to select an asset and pull attributes into a Survey widget.  Our issue is that when the asset is selected, the survey point isn't snapping to the asset.  If they don't zoom in tight enough, it has put the point as far as 200 ft from the asset.  Is there a way to turn on snapping in the Map widget to avoid this issue?  Some of our guys struggle with the technology, so I'm hoping we can find a solution that keeps it easy for them.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ZhifangWang
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @JasminePrater ,

If your survey also includes a point (geopoint in XLSForm) question, you could achieve the workflow by:

1. Add a Map widget to show the map that includes the assets layer.
  2. Add a Survey widget which to use the inspection survey in the "Submit a new record" mode.
  3. Send the point/geometry data from the Map widget to the Survey widget: in the Survey widget, "Select data" to select the asset layer from the map, "Add connection" to pass the "*Shape(point)" to the point question in the inspection survey.

In this way, the Survey widget will only load the survey when you clicking exactly an asset on the map and asset point/geometry will also "copy" to the point question in the inspection survey.

Hope this can help your workflow.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ZhifangWang
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @JasminePrater ,

Would you mind sharing a screenshot of the issue "the survey point isn't snapping to the asset."? Just want to ensure I understand this issue correctly.

0 Kudos
JasminePrater

Sorry for the delayed response.  In the picture provided, you can see where the two inspections (blue) are offset from the hydrant (red and black).  If they are not zoomed in close enough, it doesn't snap the point directly to the asset they are tapping on their iPad.  We do not want them editing anything in this application other than the inspections.

These inspection points are added in Experience Builder by clicking in the map widget.  That data is then sent to the survey in the Survey widget and information pertaining to the inspection is captured.

JasminePrater_1-1698875324925.png

0 Kudos
ZhifangWang
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @JasminePrater ,

Thanks for sharing the screenshot.

So the workflow in your app is:

1. In a Map widget shows the asset layer, the end user clicks on an asset.

2. A new inspection (geometry) is added on the map, and the Survey widget shows up to collect inspection  data (attributes).

You would like the new inspection geometry point to snap exactly to the same location of the asset.

Can you please confirm if this is correct?

0 Kudos
JasminePrater

Yes, this is correct.  Thank you.

0 Kudos
ZhifangWang
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @JasminePrater ,

If your survey also includes a point (geopoint in XLSForm) question, you could achieve the workflow by:

1. Add a Map widget to show the map that includes the assets layer.
  2. Add a Survey widget which to use the inspection survey in the "Submit a new record" mode.
  3. Send the point/geometry data from the Map widget to the Survey widget: in the Survey widget, "Select data" to select the asset layer from the map, "Add connection" to pass the "*Shape(point)" to the point question in the inspection survey.

In this way, the Survey widget will only load the survey when you clicking exactly an asset on the map and asset point/geometry will also "copy" to the point question in the inspection survey.

Hope this can help your workflow.

0 Kudos
JasminePrater

This is the process I am currently doing.  At this time, I am unable to replicate the issue with snapping.  Perhaps some changes I made to the survey connectivity has fixed it.  Unless I see it happening in the future, I will consider this issue resolved.  Thank you for your assistance!

0 Kudos
JasminePrater

I was finally able to find some examples of when my crew was adding inspections to hydrants where they are not snapping.  As a recap, I am using a map widget and a survey widget.  The survey pulls data, including the point question, into the survey from the map.  We even have snapping turned on in the widget.  This is what I am seeing when I pull the hosted inspection layer into Pro with the hydrants and inspections not snapped.  Purple dots are the inspections and the red icons are hydrants.  Sometimes, the inspections are not very far from the hydrants, but sometimes they are across half the map from the inspection.  Any idea why our snapping is not working?

JasminePrater_0-1711659720096.png

0 Kudos