Select to view content in your preferred language

Layer loading performance when using search

07-01-2024 07:12 AM
Labels (1)
marksm_macomb
Occasional Contributor

Hi everyone,

I'm not really sure what all I can do in this situation, but I wanted to voice my frustrations. I work at a local municipality and have created an Experience Builder in ArcGIS Online for our internal staff to view all township related GIS data in one place. This includes our own data and data from the county streamed in via service URL.

I have the map set up to show County parcel data once zoomed into a certain extent. When the ExB app first loads and I zoom/pan around the map, the parcels load like they are supposed to. As soon as I use the search widget to locate a parcel PIN or address, the map zooms to my search result and the parcel layer does not load at all, even when I zoom and pan around the map, and clear my search result. It will not load again until I refresh the app.

This is very basic functionality that worked fine and snappy in my old Web AppBuilder version of this app. I'm just very frustrated in making the transition to Experience Builder when functionality and performance are lacking. My end users are frustrated that the new app doesn't work as well as the old app, and then that reflects poorly on me. Part of me wants to just keep using Web AppBuilder for the reliability, but the other part of me knows I need to push forward with ExB with the retirement of WAB at the end of next year. 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Check if there are any data actions on the Search widget. It's possible that the search widget can be filtering your layers based on its results.

Can you just use the map widget's built-in search option? For basic search-and-zoom, it's usually adequate.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
JakeJacobsAVA
New Contributor III

Not sure if this is something that applies to your situation, but we experienced a bunch of performance degradation similar to this when we had a map service that was published from ArcMap instead of ArcGIS Pro. When we republished the service from ArcGIS Pro, then it performed similarly in ExB as the old one had in WAB

0 Kudos
TimWestern
Occasional Contributor

I'd just like to ask one question to clarify.  When you say 'search widget' do you mean, the search you can turn on inside a map?  Or the search widget you can drag from the pallet into a location in the builder and then search?

The map ones seem to work great for me, the other kind I think may depend on indexing or geocoder setup. as I have seen what appear to be slow results with it otherwise.

0 Kudos