Select to view content in your preferred language

Full-text search index on hosted feature layer attribute doesn't appear to be working properly in EB (AGOL-hosted version)

Jump to solution
11-03-2023 03:29 PM
BrianFausel
Frequent Contributor

Since the October ArcGIS Online (AGOL) update I have had problems with attribute-based text searching in Experience Builder (EB). All of the items I am dealing with are hosted in ArcGIS Online, including the application and layers. In these examples there are no items coming from Enterprise.

Problematic item

My Search bar widget in EB is set up to search a text attribute in an hosted feature layer. Problem can also be seen in other Esri apps but I am specifically working with EB in this case.

Problem Description

I have an AGOL-hosted feature layer with a full-text index defined on an attribute and as a result certain types of searches do not work in EB.

Alternatively, if I have a similar but separate feature layer with NO indexes the EB search works as expected. This is the opposite way I would think it would work.

I have 2 public EB apps below that demonstrate the issue. In both try searching for the address string "3805 s casper"

EB app without indexes

EB app with full text index set up

In both apps if you type only "3805" you'll see the desired result appear in the candidate list.

But if you start typing "3805 s" the results will work properly in the app without the index but will NOT work in the one with the full text index. In this case typing "3805 s" says "no results."

The problem has something to do with the search widget breaking change mentioned in the EB blog, as I did not encounter it before the update. I have also read the Searching for Features blog from last November and have not been able to come up with a solution other than to eliminate all attribute indexes. Reading this blog suggests that even a search like "3805 casper" (leaving out the direction "s") should return a proper result when indexes are created.

Is anyone else having a similar problem?

@RussRoberts 

10 Replies
BrianFausel
Frequent Contributor

Hi @ShengdiZhang

I checked the single letter search again and it looks like it works as you describe in Experience Builder and not in Web AppBuilder. Because we are moving forward with all ExB apps that fix will be good for us. Also, in the cases of the old WAB apps our users have the workaround of not including the direction and then the search still works for them.

Thanks,
Brian

0 Kudos