Select to view content in your preferred language

Expanding a popup zooms map to another location

08-08-2023 02:50 PM
Labels (1)
DianeFoote
New Contributor III

I have an Experience which has some pages that have 3 maps each showing a variable at a different time.  The maps are linked so that if the user zooms/pans to an area in one map, the other 2 maps also move to that location.

The maps contain a tiled imagery layer  that has a popup that shows the pixel value at that location.  Since there are 3 maps on the screen, the pop-up display opens up in an un-expanded mode.  If you then expand the popup so you can see the data, the maps zoom to another location where the map is centered on the area off the coast of Rancho Palos Verdes. 

If I expand the map to full screen, the popup is expanded and this behaviour doesn't happen.  Also, I have some pages with just 2 maps on a page and the expansion of the popup works as expected. 

You can see this at: https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/f4c4934c5d7548adabe9c44cf5462393/page/Temperature/?views=Av...

Click on any colored part of any of the 3 maps, expand the popup and the map will move.  It is more apparent the more you zoom in on the map.  For example, search for Hemet, click there and then expand the popup window.

Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening?  Hopefully it's just a setting somewhere.  

Thanks!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JeffreyThompson2
MVP Regular Contributor

Do you have 'Pan To' and "Zoom To' turned on? I have seen odd zooming behavior when both of these options are turned on at once.

GIS Developer
City of Arlington, Texas
0 Kudos
DianeFoote
New Contributor III
I only had "zoom to" turned on. I did try both on and it acted the same
way. Then I tried just "pan to" and that doesn't produce the action I want
since the zoom action isn't linked between maps.
And even with just "pan to" turned on, I still get the zoom to another
location on the map when I expand the popup. Interestingly, if I search
for a location and I expand the search box, the map doesn't change.

I did realize that the map is moving toward what appears to be the center
of the map because if I start from home and use the + to zoom in, that's
where it ends up. So that might be a clue...

0 Kudos
JeffreyThompson2
MVP Regular Contributor

I remembered a bit more about my zooming problem. Go to the REST page and make sure your extents make sense/are not zero. 

Also check if all your maps are on the same spatial reference system. That could possibly be an issue if they don't match.

GIS Developer
City of Arlington, Texas
0 Kudos
DianeFoote
New Contributor III

Thanks for the new suggestions.  I'm not quite sure how to go to the REST page and check the extents, but I did bring the map into Pro and the extents look OK.  All the maps were made in AGOL map viewer so they are all Web Mercator. 

Right now my work around is to change the popup so the information I want to display is all in the title, then you don't need to expand the window.  🙂  

0 Kudos
DianeFoote
New Contributor III

So I actually ended up changing the popup to make the title empty and put the information I wanted in a text box.  This brings up a popup that doesn't even have an option to expand it, so the problem is avoided.  The  only thing that is weird about this is that there is a zoom icon (magnifying glass with plus sign) on the popup which zooms OUT to the home extent of the map if you click it.  Clicking it again doesn't do anything.  So there's that...

0 Kudos
TonghuiMing
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @DianeFoote 

For the pop-up behavior - we did some investigation and it appears that the zoom button inside the map pop-up has the behavior of zooming in and also zooming out, depending on which zoom level you are currently on, for image tile layers. That's not something we control in Experience Builder, unfortunately, so you may want to direct that specific one to the Online channel.

That aside, are you still observing the original issue? If that's still an issue for you, we could help take a look at it with a sample. Thanks

0 Kudos