Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Earth Polygon Disappearing Under other Layers

04-24-2024 02:24 PM
TaelorM1
New Contributor II

I'm trying to use ArcGIS Earth to read a KMZ file but the outline of this county keeps disappearing under the other layers. The drawing order is correct, the outline is above the layers with the census tract info. Also the outline layer is in the same folder as the hash pattern that can be seen in the pictures but for some reason the outline disappears under the census tract layers when they're turned on. The hash pattern however is always visible. Any ideas why this would happen? Does it have to do with how the PHP is written?With Census Tracts.pngWithout Census Tracts.png

0 Kudos
6 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello @TaelorM1,

Thanks for pointing out the issue. Currently. We could not reproduce it. Can you provide us with the data so that we can fix the issue quickly and with high quality?

Your feedback and suggestions are vital to us.

Thank you!

ZheZheng

0 Kudos
JesseCloutier
Esri Community Manager

For recording purposes, 4.25.2024 post from Anonymous User belongs to @ZheZheng.  

Jesse Cloutier
Community Manager, Engagement & Content
0 Kudos
TaelorM1
New Contributor II

Hi ZheZheng, 

Here's a zipped folder with the .kmz file I've been using. 

0 Kudos
ZheZheng
Esri Contributor

Hello @TaelorM1,

Thank you for your support.

Our team is currently identifying and analyzing the issues, and addressing them as high priority.

I'll keep you updated as soon as we make some progress.

Thank you!

ZheZheng

0 Kudos
TaelorM1
New Contributor II

Hi @ZheZheng

Have you been able to make any progress on finding a solution to this issue? 

0 Kudos
Sharon_MU
Esri Contributor

Hi @TaelorM1 ,

Thanks for following up. 

Yes, we've been making progress on finding a solution to this issue. The root reason is related to the Draw Order of KML layers.

Firstly, let me try to explain the default drawing order of KML in ArcGIS Earth.  When drawing polygons in ArcGIS Earth, you may find the latter drawing polygon will overlap the former.  For example, I drew the 4 polygons in the sequence 1,2,3,and 4.  

Sharon_MU_0-1720085348245.png

The same thing in My Data,  if the polygon is at a lower position in the Table of Content (Data panel), the polygon is more likely overlap others.  However, polyline always drawing on top of polygons so far.

That's why you previously observed this issue, which aligns to the default drawing order. That is, Outline is polygon while geometries in Patterns folder are polylines. Outline is blocked by the layers in Census Data folder, which are lower in Table of Content.

Based on the knowledge,  you could try to move the Area Boundary folder down below the Census Data folder as a quick workaround.   In this way, Outline will be rendering on top. 
(Do save as a copy of the data after reordering the folder, and add the new file to Earth to check the changes.)

Sharon_MU_1-1720086652806.png

For long-term solution,  our team are working on the custom Draw Order of KML layers involving more attribute of KML spec. This feature is on the roadmap now and feel free to keep tuned on ArcGIS Earth news letters. Of course, we will keep you updated.

Thanks again and have fun !

Sharon

0 Kudos