Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Earth 1.17 unable to view SLPK file but ArcGIS Pro 2.9.6 can see it fine

02-02-2023 01:30 PM
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

IO error: Corrupted local file header
The same slpk file (138 GB) in the same disk location views fine in ArcGIS Pro 2.9.6 using the same Windows 10 workstation.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Bing_AnChen
Esri Contributor

Hello @BillFox ,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us regarding ArcGIS Earth and its compatibility with third-party-generated SLPK data. We understand the inconvenience this may have caused and have already raised this issue to our API team for further research.

If it's not a confidential matter, we would appreciate it if you could share the data with us. This will aid us in locating the problem faster and finding a solution sooner.

In the meantime, if you need to view the SLPK data in ArcGIS Earth in days, you could try using the i3s_converter to convert it to the latest i3s version. You can find the readme and examples in the same directory.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Best regards,

Bing'An

0 Kudos
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

That i3s link is not available:

https://devtopia.esri.com/ArcGISPro/i3s-spec/tree/master/i3s_converter

Hmm. We’re having trouble finding that site.

We can’t connect to the server at devtopia.esri.com.

If you entered the right address, you can:

Try again later
Check your network connection
Check that Firefox has permission to access the web (you might be connected but behind a firewall)

Similar error using Safari in the wild

0 Kudos
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

While troubleshooting this issue, looking at the slpk file in Pro 2.9.6, I right-clicked on it to check properties and noticed an option on the right-click fly-out to “Upgrade”.

ArcGIS Pro 2.9

Upgrade Scene Layer (Data Management)

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/2.9/tool-reference/data-management/upgrade-scene-layer.htm

I gave that command a try and it completed successfully in about an hour.

Then we were able to view it in both Pro 2.9.6 and Earth 1.17 (1.17.0.3651)

• The original slpk file is 131 GB.
  • The new output slpk file size is 240 GB.

The  ArcGIS Pro 2.9.6 Desktop specifications used to run the command.

• OS Name      Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise
  • Version         10.0.19045 Build 19045
  • System Manufacturer       Dell Inc.
  • System Model         Precision 3660
  • System Type x64-based PC
  • Processor     12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900K, 3200 Mhz, 16 Core(s), 24 Logical Processor(s)
  • Time Zone    Pacific Standard Time
  • Installed Physical Memory (RAM)         64.0 GB

Reference:

Step 1)

BillFox_0-1675443528663.png

Step 2)

BillFox_1-1675443528667.png

Step 3)

BillFox_2-1675443528668.png

Step 4)

BillFox_3-1675443528669.png

ArcGIS Pro 2.9

Upgrade Scene Layer (Data Management)

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/2.9/tool-reference/data-management/upgrade-scene-layer.htm

What is your take on what that command did to our source Nearmap slpk file to get it to work in ArcGIS Earth?

0 Kudos
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

We have more great news.

While viewing the upgraded 2022 slpk file in ArcGIS Earth;

Right-Click > Spin

The original 2022 and 2021 slpk files flicker 15 to 20 times in a single 360 degree spin - making you think you have a blinking problem.

We thought it might be an under powered computer, graphics card, network, disk, etc.

The upgraded 2022 slpk spins perfectly smooth on the same workstation.

==

I then ran the ArcGIS Pro 2.9.6 upgrade tool on the original 2021 mesh.

The tool succeeded to create the new output slpk file (size grew from 111 GB to 204 GB), but with a warning:

Upgrade Scene Layer

=====================

Parameters

Input Dataset     F:\AerialImageArchive\2021July\TexturedMesh\2021JulyTexturedMesh3DSlpk.slpk

Output Folder     F:\AerialImageArchive\2021July\ProcessingArea\UpgradeSceneLayer

Output Name     USL2021JulyTexturedMesh3DSlpk

Output Log File     F:\AerialImageArchive\2021July\ProcessingArea\UpgradeSceneLayer\2021JulyTexturedMesh3DSlpk_U.json

Texture Optimization     DESKTOP

=====================

Start Time: Thursday, February 2, 2023 3:27:59 PM

Warning : Field 'ObjectID' is missing corresponding layer.attributeStorageInfo declaration

Information : Resources 1,286978,286978,286978,0,286978,0,286978 were successfully loaded

Succeeded at Thursday, February 2, 2023 4:57:43 PM (Elapsed Time: 1 hours 29 minutes 43 seconds)

That new 2021 slpk file works fine in ArcGIS Earth and ArcGIS Pro 2.9.6.

It also spins as smoothly as the upgraded 2022 slpk file.

Any ideas on that Warning?

0 Kudos
Bing_AnChen
Esri Contributor

Hi @BillFox ,
It's great to see the data works fine after several trials. I updated the link above to the officially released i3s converter version.
We have discussed the SLPK reading issue with our API team and got the recommended approach from them is also to try upgrading the SLPKs using ArcGIS Pro or i3s converter. 
Regarding the warning you mentioned, it may have been caused by the upgrading process. As the i3s specification evolves, there may be changes in the file structure. The upgrading process will update your data to the latest specification, but it's possible that some warnings may appear. ArcGIS Earth is primarily designed for viewing 3D data and not for checking its metadata, so these warnings should not affect the display of your data in Earth. But if you want to know more about why we have this warning, sharing the experience in ArcGIS Pro's repo would help.
Lastly, if my information is correct, your SLPKs were generated by NearMap. We have received similar SLPK reading issues earlier last year and Esri's PM has already made a connection with Nearmap's POC on it. We'll keep you updated if there are any further developments on this topic.

Thank you for your understanding and let us know if you need further assistance.

Bing'An