What's New in ArcGIS Earth Desktop 2.0 (July 2023)

07-09-2023 08:28 PM
LexieLi
Esri Contributor
4 10 1,017

ArcGIS Earth just reached a significant milestone with its highly anticipated 2.0 release! Let us explore the new and exciting features and enhancements that await you in ArcGIS Earth 2.0!

Highlights

The following are new or improved in ArcGIS Earth 2.0:

• ArcGIS Earth Movie includes improved video creation and exporting, providing 3D customizable options.
  • Enable the ability to edit feature services directly in ArcGIS Earth.
  • Customize ArcGIS Earth to suit your needs by personalizing tool preferences and settings.

July_Blog_Movie_UI.png

Features

The following features have been added or improved:

• ArcGIS Earth Movie—The ArcGIS Earth Movie interface and features allow you to create and export customizable videos as part of your geospatial storytelling.
  • Feature service editing—Support to edit feature services directly in ArcGIS Earth has be added, with the capability to customize attributes and geometry to suit your needs.
  • Enhanced user interface—The overall user interface has been optimized with a cleaner look.
  • Quick dock customization—Support to personalize your tool preference by customizing the quick dock area has been added. Click Settings > Customization.
  • User notification—Stay informed with user notifications that provide updates with messages, important information, system alerts, and activity updates.
  • Startup tips—Follow the new startup tips to get started with a tutorial after starting ArcGIS Earth for the first time.

Enhancements

The following enhancements have been added:

• Keyboard shortcuts—Find relevant keyboard shortcuts with the new query window added to the About page.
  • CSV-related workflow—The workflow to add .csv files has been enhanced to provide a more user-friendly experience.
  • Pop-up improvements—Support for ArcGIS Arcade expressions, more HTML styles, more media content, and hyperlinks to external web browsers have been added.
  • KML node batch editing—Multiple KML nodes can be selected and edited at the same time. Symbology configurations are applied to the viewport for an improved editing experience.

Bug Fixes

july_blog_bugs.png

Download

Get the newest version of the ArcGIS Earth app: https://www.esri.com/en-us/arcgis/products/arcgis-earth/downloads

10 Comments
Leandro-Zamudio
Occasional Contributor

It looks smooth but when I exported a movie (No layers, only a panning shot) it gives me a 0 bytes .mp4 file

Bing_AnChen
Esri Contributor

Hi @Leandro-Zamudio ,

Thank you for your feedback. We tested extensively but could not reproduce the 0-byte MP4 file issue you described. It would be helpful if you could share the specific workspace project so we can debug the problem and find a solution.

Bing'An

OwenONeill
New Contributor

Regions seem to be broken.

using build 2.0.0.3810

I've created a linked set of KML files, which work OK in google earth pro. Features turn on and off as expected when you zoom in.

Using the same file in arcGIS earth, the regions turn on ok as you zoom in .....
...but they don't turn off when you zoom out. 

which means the view gets completely overloaded with too many features.

(kmls I've created are large - 20mb each or so, have a small root document with folders in it, and links to child documents - each small child document then has a further set of links with regions on each link - which in turn link to the large data files.)

Another minor difference between Google Earth Pro behaviour and ArcGIS earth, when my root document link has a region on it - doesn't seem to work, never load the first level of child document (which has no content apart from other links with regions) - if I remove the top level of region so there is only one level of regions, seems to work ok)

Sharon_MU
Esri Contributor

Hi @OwenONeill ,

Thanks for the feedback !

It looks you were encountering an issue related to KML Level of Details in ArcGIS Earth.  Would you mind creating a new post in ArcGIS Earth Question board ?  In this way, we can do further testing on this issue. 

Alternatively, you could also share the testing date with us via email arcgisearth_feedback@esri.com  ?

Thank you again.

Sharon

Leandro-Zamudio
Occasional Contributor

Hi @Bing_AnChen , this is my workspace

Workspace 

Bing_AnChen
Esri Contributor

Hi @Leandro-Zamudio ,

We tried reproducing the described issue using the workspace you provided on two machines, exporting a Movie called "Nueva película" on both without encountering the problem mentioned. To further isolate the issue, could you provide a screen recording of the export process or your Earth log files? This would help us pinpoint the problem.

Thank you for your help troubleshooting this issue. We look forward to resolving it so every director can create their own Movie.

Bing'An

Leandro-Zamudio
Occasional Contributor

Hi @Bing_AnChen 

I tried to isolate the issue but I don't know if this is correct...

In the documentation it talks about log files but ArcGIS Earth it's not even generating logs, here's my Roaming ArcGIS Earth folder.

LeandroZamudio_0-1693251122300.png

Where i can find them. It seems that my config is missing some parameters

This is all i have

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<configuration version="2.0">
  <general>
    <workspace autoSave="True">
      <directory>C:\Users\lzamudio\Documents\ArcGISEarth\workspace\</directory>
    </workspace>
    <startupView>
      <type>Custom</type>
      <camera>
        <mapPoint>
          <x>-92</x>
          <y>41</y>
          <z>11000000</z>
          <wkid>4326</wkid>
        </mapPoint>
        <heading>0</heading>
        <pitch>0</pitch>
        <roll>0</roll>
      </camera>
    </startupView>
    <spatialReference>WebMercator</spatialReference>
    <isShowInExternalBrowser>False</isShowInExternalBrowser>
    <isShowStartupTips>True</isShowStartupTips>
    <language>System</language>
  </general>
  <navigation>
    <flyto>
      <speed>50</speed>
      <autoZoomToNewLayer>True</autoZoomToNewLayer>
    </flyto>
    <mouseWheel>
      <speed>50</speed>
      <zoomDirection>Forward</zoomDirection>
    </mouseWheel>
    <continuousPanning>True</continuousPanning>
    <nonMouseController enable="False" reverse="False" />
    <navigator>
      <enableNavigatorControl />
    </navigator>
  </navigation>
  <units>
    <location>DMS</location>
    <distance>Meters</distance>
    <area>SquareMeters</area>
    <isLongitudeFront>False</isLongitudeFront>
    <elevation>Meters</elevation>
  </units>
  <advanced>
    <proxy use="False">
      <address>
        <value>
        </value>
      </address>
      <username>
        <value>
        </value>
      </username>
      <password>
        <value>kQobIpb8JGh6BdmZVesPMg==</value>
      </password>
    </proxy>
  </advanced>
  <portals signInUsingBrowser="False" />
  <environments>
    <atmosphere>Horizon</atmosphere>
    <elevationExaggeration>1</elevationExaggeration>
  </environments>
  <favorTools />
  <enableCheckForUpdates>True</enableCheckForUpdates>
</configuration>
NWhittaker
New Contributor II

@LexieLi Feature Service editing issue: When editing a feature service with a date field, the date is automatically updated to the current date and time. While this is great for last edited fields, this makes tracking historical dates using a date field impossible.

Lexie
by
New Contributor III

Hi @NWhittaker ,

Thanks for your feedback!

It looks like you were encountering an issue related to feature editing. Would you mind creating a new post in ArcGIS Earth Question board , and sharing your data with us to better investigate this issue?  In this way, we can do further testing on this issue. 

Alternatively, could you share the testing data with us via email arcgisearth_feedback@esri.com  ?

Thanks,

Bing_AnChen
Esri Contributor

Hi @Leandro-Zamudio ,

We have reviewed the config file mentioned earlier and believe that all settings and parameters within it are normal and in order. However, we've recently resolved an issue that might have caused exported file sizes to be 0kb which might help. This was due to a few Regional Formats (such as Greece) having a decimal symbol of ',' instead of '.' which is the only one supported by Earth 2.0. This issue will be fixed in V2.1. If you wish to obtain outputs correctly in V2.0, please follow the instructions below to modify the Windows decimal symbol to '.':

9b0c2eb9-6d59-4057-ad2c-d50c374f1f3d.png

Hope the workaround above proves helpful to you.

Bing'An