unable open mxd after upgrade to Windows 10

08-17-2016 05:23 PM
RichardDaniels
Occasional Contributor III

We had ArcGIS Desktop 10.3.1 installed on Windows 7 machines. The machines were upgraded to Windows 10 (64 bit). Now many of the old MXD's created prior to the upgrade will not open and crashes ArcMap.

User is starting on the MXD by double clicking. The same MXD can be opened on machines that have Windows 10,.but had ArcGIS Desktop 10.3.1 installed 'after' the upgrade.

Ideas are welcome.

Rich

0 Kudos
18 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

don't double-click... open it as expected...

( I can't put my hand on the link right now, but it is not the prefered method ( I know...I know) )

JenniferMcCall4

Opening MXD by double clicking crashing ArcMap. Opening in ArcMap itself fine. Why? 

Is this the sort of issue you were referring to, Dan?  Double-clicking the mxd file to open it causes ArcMap to crash, but opening ArcMap as a blank template and then opening the mxd from there allows the mxd to open fine.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

that is it.  My students try it all the time and when it fails, File|open project works, and/or right-click on the mxd open-with works.  I got sick of diagonising the issue...it is now just a house rule

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Do you follow that with a "save as" and does that have a better result?  That sometimes helps since it seems to clean it up by getting rid of residual processing and condense it some.

also, I think emptying the results tab helps...if never emptied, all that needs to be loaded each time (in memory maybe?).   Empty, save/close, reopen .

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

There is no need for double-clicking a filename period.  How much time does it really save? None.  But file save as is strongly encouraged with a version number/letter as the last part of a filename.  Always think of a project name as representing the time you don't mind wasting trying to recover a mishap.  myproject_01.mxd and myproject_02.mxd should represent major incremental steps in your work (and then there is the file backups etc etc of course)

0 Kudos
RichardDaniels

crashes double clicking or when attempting to open the MXD with File | Open.

Rich

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hi Richard,

Have you checked Fixing ArcMap Crashes by curtvprice

Think Location
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

The same MXD can be opened on machines that have Windows 10, but had ArcGIS Desktop 10.3.1 installed 'after' the upgrade.

Have you tried doing a repair on the install on the machines that are having issues?  That is, start the install and select repair. 

I know when I upgraded one of my machines from Win7 to 10, many of my files for various programs were put into a "temp" folder and I had to move them back into place, but doing a repair (or just an install) whould put the required files in the correct location...then look for any misplaced files you may have used to customize to see if they are still needed.

RichardDaniels

One thing that works was uninstalling all ArcGIS Desktop 10.3.1 software, then deleting any remaining files at C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.3 and reinstalling. Of course this is painful for a large organization.

This indicates that 'some' dll's' were corrupted by the Windows 10 upgrade...

As a side note we did repair SQL Native Client 2012 (64 bit) after the upgrade but this did not resolve the problem (many of the data sources in the MXD were on SQL 2008 R2 servers and need Native Client to connect).

Rich