Option in license manager to allow a user to be able to switch his license through ArcPro

11-25-2019 11:29 AM
RayVidalis
New Contributor II

Hello,

What option/permission should be set in the license manager in order for a user to be able to switch his license through ArcGIS Pro?
Right now in ArcGIS Pro if I go to Licensing -> "Configure your licensing options"
The "License Type" drop down is disabled (locked to "Concurrent Use License") and the following message is displayed:
"Licensing configuration settings are locked. Please contact your organization's administrator"

Thank you

-Ray

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Are you set up for Named User license?

With the Named User license type, ArcGIS Pro core and extension licenses are assigned to members of an ArcGIS Online or ArcGIS Enterprise organization by the organization administrator. An ArcGIS Pro license is assigned automatically to members who have the GIS Professional user type. It can be assigned as an add-on license to members who have other user types.

An organization member who has been assigned an ArcGIS Pro license uses their ArcGIS Online or ArcGIS Enterprise account credentials to sign in to ArcGIS Pro. The member can sign in to the application on any machine on which it is installed (up to three machines at the same time).

RayVidalis
New Contributor II

I think I'm confusing the license types,
so only users with "Named User license" are able to toggle their license type through ArcGIS Pro. Right?

0 Kudos
ChelseaRozek
MVP Regular Contributor

We use concurrent licensing for Pro and I'm still able to switch my license level in Pro without it being locked and needing admin assistance. I'm curious if your IT has enabled something to lock yours down. I hope it's not going the route of ArcGIS Administrator that you need to run it as an administrator (or run a separate user-made tool) to change your license.

AmnoyAm
Esri Regular Contributor

If you installed ArcGIS Pro and defined license manager, software class and authorization type, it will include a fourth property, LOCK_AUTH_SETTING.  This setting is set to True by default. By doing so, the user is not allowed to make a licensing change.  If you wish to turn off this feature, go to the Registry and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Esri\ArcGISPro\Licensing.  Look for the LOCK_AUTH_SETTINGS key and set the Data setting to False.  This will allow the user to switch to other licensing type, change license manager, etc.   

The following documentation provides more detail on this subject:

Localized and silent install options—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation