Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS runs on Mac with Windows 8, but....

11-20-2014 08:28 AM
MalteJahnke
New Contributor

Hey there!

I have succesfully installed Arcgis 10.2.2 on my MacBook Pro 13 inch Retina (newest Version, with Yosemite) using Bootcamp on Windows 8 Pro 64 Bit.

Although ArcGIS was easily installed and runs ok, I get a very low resolution compared to other programs I open. That means that everything in ArcMap or ArcCatalog appears extremely big and is close to unusable. As well, when I open "File" "Edit" "View"  and so on e.g. in ArcMap, it all seems to be out of place...

Has anybody experienced something similar or knows how to adapt the resolution of the Retina display, to work properly with windows 8 and ArcGIS?
I was actually planning to connect the MacBook to my SAMSUNG Screen (26inch), however it has a max resolution of 1920x1080 which makes matters even worse...

I would apreciate any help, as I really have to be able to work with ArcGIS for university!

Regards,

Malte

0 Kudos
2 Replies
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I personally don't have any experience with running Windows under BootCamp, but the mapping of displays is one reason people go to a commercial solution like Paralells (which I use) or VMWare.

Clearly ArcGIS is having trouble scaling the display off the Windows settings that it can "see" in this environment. You may have some luck futzing with the Advanced ArcMap Settings utility, which has a setting for the size of the display (in mm).

0 Kudos
DouglasTurner
New Contributor

In case you are still seeking a solution, Apple recommends downloading and installing the "Windows Support Software" using the Boot Camp Assistant to use the Retina display with Windows 7 or 8.  This is their link:

www.apple.com/support/bootcamp

I found your questions searching the threads here for Mac users.  I love GIS and appreciate the great contribution ESRI has made - but it is time for them to make a native Mac ArcGIS Desktop

Good luck with the work-around and I hope it helps.

0 Kudos